LT77 into S3

Phill B

Hi Guys.

I've got an LT77 with its tranny box.

Am I correct in thinking that the best way to get this into my S3 is to take the S3 tranny box, fit it to the LT77 using the Ashcroft adaptor then fit the S3 bellhousing straight on

Put the whole thing in with a 4" prop spacer?

If so..

1: Does the Bell housing bolt to the 77 OK?

2: Can someone point me to this kit that Ashcroft do?

Cheers

The easiest option is to bolt the LT77 to an LT230, if you want to retain RWD on the road £150 gets you the 2WD conversion from Ashcrofts. IMHO a better setup (with a choice of ratios) than using Series transfer box.

Both have been covered in great detail if you use the search function or check the tech archive.

The easiest option is to bolt the LT77 to an LT230, if you want to retain RWD on the road £150 gets you the 2WD conversion from Ashcrofts. IMHO a better setup (with a choice of ratios) than using Series transfer box.

Both have been covered in great detail if you use the search function or check the tech archive.

Thanks for the reply Fridge. I'm going to go your route then and get a 230.

I bought a 77 but the damn thing came with the Borg tranny box...I dont suppose you can do anything with one of those?

Thanks for the advise, its greatly appreciated.

Just one Q though that I really need answering. Will the S3 bell fit straight onto the 77?

Because I use my S3 constantly and rely on it getting me to work I need to do jobs like this in one go with as little hurdles as possible.

Wouldn't be so bad if I could take it off road for a month :/

You could have a task on your hands.

First off - what is the LT77 you bought? Borg tx suggests Range Rover, which would be a poor start for a few reasons.

I'm not sure if you can use the BW transfer box as I've never had one apart, I know the 2WD conversion is only available for LT230's, not least because most of the BW boxes had viscous couplings rather than centre diffs, which would be a bit of a non-starter.

You could have a task on your hands.

First off - what is the LT77 you bought? Borg tx suggests Range Rover, which would be a poor start for a few reasons.

I'm not sure if you can use the BW transfer box as I've never had one apart, I know the 2WD conversion is only available for LT230's, not least because most of the BW boxes had viscous couplings rather than centre diffs, which would be a bit of a non-starter.

Apparantly it came out of a H reg Rangie.

My idea was to dump the BW and put a 230 on it?

Are you doing alot of road miles in it? If not then I wouldnt bother with the 2wd conversion. I run mind permanent 4wd as do a couple of other people I know and it doesnt seem to casue any problems. unless you run FWH the front shafts are turning anyway so it cant make that much difference!

Jon

You can bolt an LT230 to it.

However there are a couple of problems:

- Unless the LT77 came from a 2/300Tdi Range Rover the bellhousing and input shaft are wrong, I'm not sure you can adapt this to fit.

- The gearstick mechanism is in the wrong place, at the back not at the front - changing it involves stripping & rebuilding the gearbox, or you could have the shifter coming up through the centre seat.

What you really need is a Defender 4cyl LT77. If you have a search in this forum you should find all the info you need as others (myself included) have done this before.

Jon - What about donuts? Oh, nearly forgot yours is a diseasal so that's that out then :lol: