Rebuilding a Transfer Box - Advice sought...

Disco Sev

Hi All,

I have a Disco V8 Auto with standard 1.222 ratio transfer box (Suffix F). I would like to know if I can do a direct swap with the high ratio gear (1.410) out of an older (B suffix) box taken from a LT77 gearbox.

I already have a seal and gasket set but would also like to know if there in anything that MUST be replaced upon dismantling and reassembly such as bearings/spacers etc??

Will probably be a few weeks before I attempt the job but would like to get info and parts gathered beforehand.

Thanks,

Sev

I can't remember exactly what you need to change (I think there are collapsible spacers etc) but the gears are a matched set IIRC - in other words you need to change them as a set and they are F expensive if you are buying them new. The RAVE LT230 overhaul manual should describe the job.

I should think a better bet might be to swap the whole t/box over - they are all basically the same. If the one you have is kaput then get a recon exchange one with the right ratio in?

• 4 weeks later...

All the gears are different in the Suff B, the builds are too far apart to be a helpful swop. Suff B uses the old narrow type output transfer gear. And the hi /lo gears have thick type dog teeth that will not mesh with the later ( thin type ) coupling sleeve in the suffix F.

If you want to change the ratio you could try these guys Shop4autoparts.net if you give them your transfer box number they do overhaul kits and sell most of the gears individualy and some ratio change kits I think.