90 power steering

Not long since bought my first LR - a 1984 90 with Sherpa NA diesel fitted. Seems its been off the road more than on it but then that seems to be normal :) As a newbie I bet I'll be on this forum asking looads of questions but for a start - can anyone tell me the best way / cheapest to upgrade my steering to power? I knew they were heavy but I didn't expect to need Popye muscles :rolleyes:

Oh yea while I'm here - I need to get a sump gasket and some stuff for the diesel but because its not a land rover engine I'm not sure what fits from the 90 parts bin and what has to be Sherpa - and where to get Sherpa engine bits from - anyone any ideas?

When I've figured how to use the forum I'll post a photo of the red shed!

The only difference between the Sherpa lump and a normal 90 one is the inlet manifold, air filter, water pump and timing gear - timing casing, timing cover, timing belt, idler pulley and injector pipes. There's no sump gasket - it should be RTV sealant - although a series sump gasket will fit. Power steering from a later 90 is a straight bolt-on job in place of what you have now.

It is a Land Rover engine by the way :)

Les.

Welcome, I see you've been a member since Jan this year, if you haven't read it already Please check the pinned thread at the top of the forum thread listing, lots of good info to help you use the forum, including how to add photo's to your replies/threads :D

Thanks for the advice Les - I know Q's are a bit dumb but am new to land rovers (and diesels) - long time since I last worked on cars and then it was Mini Coopers (old shape). Is RTV better than gasket and will any grade Hylomar do? For power steering what bits do I need and what can I keep? Great to know there's somewhere to go ask questions :)