Help!!!!!!!!! Steering Box!&#3

Hi, Just noticed that my steering box is leaking quite bad. Any ideas where I can get a recond one in or very near to Oxfordshire?????. Also are they quite easy to change???

P.S I have a 300 TDi.

Many Thanks

Pete

Hi, Just noticed that my steering box is leaking quite bad. Any ideas where I can get a recond one in or very near to Oxfordshire?????. Also are they quite easy to change???

P.S I have a 300 TDi.

Many Thanks

Pete

Not an ideal engineering solution but... some suggest putting a small amount (cap full?) of brake fluid in the power steering fluid as apparently it will swell the seals and stop leaks... not tried it myself...yet :blink: Got to be worth a go before splashing out on a new bix as they are not cheap.

Just change the seals in the box. I bought a seal kit for about 15 quid and spend a very enjoyable and informative afternoon changing them all and making the box like new.

If you need some advice with it I'll put up a how too guide for changing them (if I can remember how) in the tech archive.

i tried the cap of brake fluid but that did nothing. so i bit the bulit and got a recon one form mm4x4(worcester) i think it was about £90 plus a refundable surcharge and havnt looked back. i was getting very tired doing manuvers without the PAS.

£36 for a decent kit and I've replaced them twice without success. I wouldn't bother now.

Les.

Thanks everybody for the info I have just brought one from ADWEST in Woodley £193 exchanged, How much fliud will I need to refill the system ????????????

Many Thanks

Pete

Sorry about your lack of sucess. Out here in Romania I didnt have a lot of choice but to order the seals kit instead of a new box. Had no problems atall fitting them and its working perfectly for some months now.

about 2 liters will fill it up by the way.

Replacement seals often fail after a short period of time because the shaft will be pitted. Where I come from (Malta), we usually have them filled in and machined back to original spec. It works a treat every time. Independent dealers usually exchange the pitted shaft with a freshly machined one and they'll take the pitted one for machining later. That way, the vehicle is off the road for a couple of hours at most.