Defender 200tdi into '83 110 - Exhaust??? (pics)

What is the general concensus on the best option here. I don't want to spend on a TDi system, I just want to get this in as cheaply as possible.

defender TDi engine:photo 1

110 engine room: photo 2

Will the pipes line up to the point that I can cut/weld or cut/sleeve them?

post-7116-1207317269_thumb.jpg

post-7116-1207317289_thumb.jpg

When my Tdi was fitted the TD downpipe was re-used. a full Tdi system won't fit unless you change the vehicle part of the mounts, the later system has the rubber ring hjangers & pin mounts.

suggest a temp fit of engine/downpipe then figure out which way to connect it, or just buy the correct 200Tdi downpipe & it should match the rest of the existing system as the Tdi still uses the 3 bolt triangle clamps.

suggest a temp fit of engine/downpipe then figure out which way to connect it, or just buy the correct 200Tdi downpipe & it should match the rest of the existing system as the Tdi still uses the 3 bolt triangle clamps.

The 200tdi downpipe is shown in the pics - still attached to the 200tdi - albeit from a 90, not a 110...

I guess the TDi and TD exhausts have the 'triangle' flange just behind the Cross-member? The 110 nat-asp unit is in front as you can see,,,

Fit and fingers crossed (that they pipes even line up) looks like the only option right now - unless anyone else knows differently?

A few photo's of my 200Tdi exhaust downpipe in my '89 110CSW

from the left in order
downpipe to turbo exhaust joint/clamp
downpipe to exhaust joint adjacent to engine sump
location of downpipe to exhaust clamp forward of removeable cross member
from front of engine looking rearwards above front axle

hope they help. on the garage invoice it states 200Tdi downpipe ESR158 BUT It's exactly the same as the old TD version & I believe it's part number ESR159 which makes it a TD downpipe to match the rest of my exhaust system.

post-20-1207326447_thumb.jpg

post-20-1207326524_thumb.jpg

post-20-1207326611_thumb.jpg

post-20-1207326702_thumb.jpg

Looking at the first pics they arent the same down pipe whatever the engine bay pic one is off. i reckon the tdi one will be shorten after the ben to fit the engine bay one so you can join them all up.

Are the ODs the same?

This is wierd... Taking a look at this ebay auction, the front pipe looks like the one in my first picture.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=150177868296

I know what i want, and it looks like the one in western's 110 in the above pics (thanks for taking these)!

Western - Do you have the R380 or the LT77?

Any chance you can measure the distance from the clutch housing/trans interface to the flange on the middle-section? I feel that mine looks different to yours again.

Here is something quoted as the 'TD exhaust'

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=320078128982

I can't find anything on the ESR159 ?

If that section of exhaust going over the crossmember can be seperated from the centre silencer, then you should be ok. You might find you need to get a short linking section from a later model to link the downpipe and silencer together.

Dave

niether of those ebay links are TD parts, they look to be the correct 200TDi part to me & the same as on your Tdi engine in the photo above,these part pages might help.

note the shorter TD downpipe is the same as mine. Your existing downpipe looks like the n/a diesel one in the 3rd parts page :D

my original gearbox was a LT77 but I have a R380 now

Any chance you can measure the distance from the clutch housing/trans interface to the flange on the middle-section? I feel that mine looks different to yours again.

just done a measure from the fornt face of the tubular x-member to the centre of the exhaust joint is approx 217mm & the joint is almost in line with the Tdi's sump drain plug.

post-20-1207508782_thumb.jpg

post-20-1207508836_thumb.jpg

post-20-1207509093_thumb.jpg