Strange judder from beneath

Scotian

Hi people. I've finally got to the end of my fault finding for a strange judder when I try and pull away in 1st or reverse.

Here is the history. I started noticing it when pulling away on a hill start, it was very minor and I put it down to worn bushes. I then had to tow a trailer a great distance and the judder was very noticable when pulling away in 1st and reverse. during the trip with the trailer I put new bushes on the very worn front shocks. This seemed to make a difference then a few hundred miles later it started again. I then changed the rear shock bushes, again this helped then the judder started again and I changed the rear prop UJs. This didnt make any difference but they needed doing anyway (as did all the other changes). I then changed the Rear radius arm bushes and the judder stopped again only to start up a few days later. I now changed the front radius arm bushes and this didnt have any affect.

Yesterday I took my front Prop off to change the Ujs only to find that the front prop is a newer type which takes the small UJs and I only had 2 new Large ones (The garage didnt tell me they put on a newer type prop when they changed it). So I ended up having to drive about with only rear wheel drive again (as I did most the damn winter!) Now the juddering is 10 times worse and happens in 2nd gear too.

The rear diff has been a bit noisy since I fitted the disco rear axle and I keep meaning to get round to putting my old diff from the drum brake axle in its place but its in the UK and I'm about 60 pounds postage way :-( . The other factor that I think I should mention is I have a 265/75 on one side and a 265/70 on the other. I dont know if this would damage the diff and cause it to have symptoms like this.

I know its a big lump to read but please could somone give me some pointers to help me solve the problem.

Cheers

Can't help you with the judder, but running 2 different size tyres on the same axle (and front to back for that matter) is a big no-no. One wheel/tyre will have to travel faster than the other to keep up!!

By my calcs, your 2 tyre sizes differ by over an inch :blink:

i would have thought the diff would take care of the difference in OD but as Orange says its not ideal.

rear prop out of balance?

rear diff bearings?

If it was bushes wouldnt it do it at all speeds and rpm?

Well every time I changed a bush it got better then another bush fell apart. As if I was forcing the prblem to move to the next weakest place.

Its not balance as it only does it when I start to set off and everything is smooth at any speed. The judder is more like a back and forward movement as if I am a learner driving not pulling away smoothley.

Can you tell me more about the diff bearing. I;ve got a spare diff at home in the UK, would changing it out make a difference or is it another part that needs to be replaced? How likley is it that its the problem?

I'd securely chock the wheels, leave it in neutral and handbrake off then have a crawl underneath to check the rear prop and diff pinion bearing for play. Give the prop a good shake at both ends and see if there is any play.

Chocking the wheels etc ensures that the drivetrain isn't tight and holding the vehicle. The tightness (for want of a better expression) can mask any play.