Extra Fuel tank

so putting in an extra tank under the right hand side.

Just wondering where to plumb in the pipe, do I put it to the overflow pipe on the main fuel inlet?

So it goes tank out - extra fuel pump - main inlet overflow tube?

This way I can fill up the main tank off the aux.

Or, do I plug it into the pipe that leaves the main tank and goes into the main fuel pump, to me it feel like the other way is better. Also how do you safeguard aux fuel pump shuting off when the main tank gets full?

questions, questions...

driving to the alps on Friday, be keen to get this done before then.

What do you want to know then? I thought that link was very good. It shows you what needs to be done (fitting a td5 tank to your 200tdi or vicer versa), having two fill caps, the problem witht he exhaust and how to overcome it etc.. Personally I think the TD5 tank option is better than filling from an Aux tank.

What do you want to know then? I thought that link was very good. It shows you what needs to be done (fitting a td5 tank to your 200tdi or vicer versa), having two fill caps, the problem witht he exhaust and how to overcome it etc.. Personally I think the TD5 tank option is better than filling from an Aux tank.

Sorry, I was hoping that someone had an idea about these bits:

"just wondering where to plumb in the pipe, do I put it to the overflow pipe on the main fuel inlet?

So it goes tank out - extra fuel pump - main inlet overflow tube?

This way I can fill up the main tank off the aux.

Or, do I plug it into the pipe that leaves the main tank and goes into the main fuel pump, to me it feel like the other way is better. Also how do you safeguard aux fuel pump shuting off when the main tank gets full?"

As the position of my tank is under the RH side, exhust do not get in the way as this runs down the middle.

Hi, I'm also interested in how this would be done but the link for the dual fuel tank only says that someone has a moulded tank around their ecu and that the exhaust on a td5 would need to be changed. It doesn't give any real details on how the td5 tank would need to be plumbed into the current fuel system which i presume the badger is really after.

Badger, are you thinking of having a separate switch to fill up the main tank from the aux as and when needed or have some sort of automatic setup based on the level in the main tank?

Guest diesel_jim

I was at allisports on saturday, and chatting to Andy about twin tanks (i want one for my 110 when its done)

he said they usually plumb them in with an adaptor in the main filler neck so that the second tank gets filled first, then overflows to the main tank.

not sure about how it empties though, unless there's a lower pipe that gravity-feeds and keeps both tanks "level".

i plan to have 2 fillers on mine, and an electric pump to pump from the aux to the main tank when needed. with twin fuel guages, or 1 guage and a changeover switch.

It would also be pretty easy to rig up a latching relay, so the transfer pump would only operate when the "low fuel" light is on for tha main tank (that way, with the aux tank being smaller than the main one, there'd be no chance of it overflowing by being overfilled.)

The latching relay would be needed because once you've pumped in 2 or so gallons, the low fuel light would then go out and the pump would stop! :rolleyes: so a latching relay would keep the pump going until you stopped it.

If you got really bored, you could plumb in a fuel level sender to the aux tank, with it's own low level light, and use that light to stop the pump from pumping into the main tank, so it would be totally self controlling.

Badger, are you thinking of having a separate switch to fill up the main tank from the aux as and when needed or have some sort of automatic setup based on the level in the main tank?

Hello

As Diesel Jim was saying, im plannning of having a seperate pump from the aux tank to the main tank controlled on a switch, with fuel gauge and sender. I would like to be able to auto off this the aux tank pump when the main fuel gauge reaches full . This would ensure i cannot over fill the main tank.

It would be good to have that system allisports was on about, as this would save having to make a new fuel filler hole and filling the aux tank easier. For controlling the outflow, there is a top hole used for overfill cutoff (well i think it's that), and a bottom hole which is the out for the aux pump. I have a little adaptor which does fit to a small pipe, hence my thinking that the aux pump plumbs into the overfill pipe on the main tank.

I brought this off Sarfi Equip, apparently it comes with fitting instructions but I have not found them yet, and I can't get hold of them???

Guest diesel_jim
For controlling the outflow, there is a top hole used for overfill cutoff (well i think it's that), and a bottom hole which is the out for the aux pump. I have a little adaptor which does fit to a small pipe, hence my thinking that the aux pump plumbs into the overfill pipe on the main tank.

Yeah, i think Andy was saying that you fill through the aux tank into the main one, so the top and bottom pipes would make sense.

i think on mine i'll have 2 fillers (it's a 110 so there's plenty of room along the bodywork and i've already got a complete series filler assembly.

My thinking is that with 2 fillers and a transfer pump, should the worst happen to either tank (i.e. a hole, eventhough i'm going to have under tank bash plates) the i wouldn't lose all the fuel, at least one tank would still have the fuel in it, as opposed to it raining out all over the road.

I have 110 V8SW , there is the main tank in rear (standard) I then fitted auxillary tank under drivers seat, this is filled thru sep filler. There is an elec pump to pump to rear tank when rear tank is low enough to take entire contents that way no chance of overfill rear tank. I have also fitted a under rear wheelarch tank that requires rear filler to be removed as it fits in the way and gets filled at same time as main rear tank, it is joined at the bottom so empties at same time but gives extra 50 litres . The fuel return line just goes as standard to rear tank. HTSH