Dashboard Lifting ????

Alamo

Hi All,

I'm looking around for my first Disco at the moment. In several descriptions of those for sale on fleabay and other places, there is mention of "Dashboard lifting", which is apparently "Normal". Could someone please explain exactly what this is and what causes it?

Thanks in advance

Alan

Sunlight mess,s with the bonding in the dash and the soft trim lifts up off the hard dash itself and looks ****, you can buy repair kits for about £50 that hold down the lifting bit with some screws.

Only happens on 300 model

Lynall

For some very obscure reason, LR used an adhesive to bond the soft trim to the hard plastic dash that was not UV light tolerant. Kind of a strange decision considering where this is used on the car.

This one actually made an episode of Watchdog as the complaints flooded in from Discovery owners.

LR never admitted it was a quality issue but did replace dashboards under warranty but ONLY if customers requested it. They also replaced a few even when the warranty had expired but you've no chance now.........far too late.......believe me, I tried!! :rolleyes:

After market trim kits are excellent though but are a right pain in the 'arris to fit as there is just no room that close to the windscreen. The screws supplied were too short as well. :angry:

For some very obscure reason, LR used an adhesive to bond the soft trim to the hard plastic dash that was not UV light tolerant. Kind of a strange decision considering where this is used on the car.

This one actually made an episode of Watchdog as the complaints flooded in from Discovery owners.

LR never admitted it was a quality issue but did replace dashboards under warranty but ONLY if customers requested it. They also replaced a few even when the warranty had expired but you've no chance now.........far too late.......believe me, I tried!! :rolleyes:

After market trim kits are excellent though but are a right pain in the 'arris to fit as there is just no room that close to the windscreen. The screws supplied were too short as well. :angry:

I was fortunate to loose my wind screen (fortunate = zero access to be paid). The company replacing the wind screen removed the wind screen, and gave me time to drill holes and screw in self tapping screws with washers. These were done at equal spacing, sufficient to make it look like a button padded dash. The screw tops were capped with matt black screw caps. It came out quite nice. The dash top layer was deformed to such extend, that no kit would have been able to "flatten" the dash top again.

• 1 year later...

i got mine from island 4x4 via the web for less than £30

the screws are a little short and its advisable to drill pilot holes with a dremel or similar

very hard to get the end screws in so im waiting for when the screen comes out to get those in

other than that it took about an hour to fit

Same problem here, Devon 4x4 want £62 for the kit.

Where did you get yours for £25 ?

Got mine from Brookwell Supplies at Bovey Tracey near Newton Abbot (Devon). They are very reasonable for all LR parts both genuine and factor and are very knowledgable and most helpfull, not rip-off merchants like a lot of suppliers and convenient being very close to me.