109 rear storage lockers

callum

i came across a 109 in the scrapyard the other day and it had storage lockers at the rear of the seatboxes accessed from inside. i thought about swiping these to put in my 110. i didn't get a particularly good look, so i'm trying to find out a bit more information about them and whether it is feasible to remove them from that vehicle.

they looked to be spot welded in, which is a pain in the arse, are there any other fixings. also do they make up the structure of the tub, i.e if i were to cut them out would have to cut out the whole wing or are they kind of double skinned.

also, how close to the tyres run to these when suspension is compressed. i have lsightly larger than standard tyres and i dont want them to rub. although in saying that, i don thtink it would be difficult to reshape the boxes.

finally is it worth the bother of trying to ge them out? can i buy new ones from someone and save myself lots of hassle?

thanks for your assistance, i'm not terribly familiar with series vehicles.

The lockers in the back are only a folded bit of ali with a hole cut in the top of the wheelbox as access. They're spot welded to the outer and inner wing and body so you'd muck a lot up getting them out, and all you'd have for your troubles would be an L-shaped piece of aluminium.

Easy enough to make though.

thanks for the input, although its probably not what i wanted to hear. i was rather hoping they dropped into an aperture in the seat box rather than being spot welded into place. i suppose i shall just have to bend up my own. I might have to try a tiny vice based folderiserfrom screwfix et al. since finishing uni i don't have access to a proper folder anymore, which is a shame as they made a rather better job of things than a workmate and a block of wood.

one last question, the ones in the 109 were pretty big and i presume went right to the back of the vehicle. did this mean that any access to the tail lights was through these lockers?

anyway, thanks for your input

You could always be total animal and buy a metal or plastic box that will drop in, cut a hole and drop it into the wheel box.

Unless the lockers were a high as the body capping then access to the lights would be as per normal, Series have the lights up top.

In fact, here's a handy cutaway diagram of the side of a 109 I made earlier:

post-21-1207693744_thumb.jpg

The opposite side has no locker as there's a fuel filler in the way.

You could always be total animal and buy a metal or plastic box that will drop in, cut a hole and drop it into the wheel box.

Unless the lockers were a high as the body capping then access to the lights would be as per normal, Series have the lights up top.

In fact, here's a handy cutaway diagram of the side of a 109 I made earlier:

post-21-1207693744_thumb.jpg

The opposite side has no locker as there's a fuel filler in the way.

ahhh, that's a pretty useful picture, but really, you didn't have to tear your 109 apart just to show me :P

90's/110's have lights down the bottom, but i dont see any harm in bringing them inside i suppose.

strangely the 109 in the scrapyard (a hard top van) had lockers on both sides. i wish i had paid more attention to it to be honest, i can only assume it ran a swb tank. it was actually a pretty pimp one with an inside wheel carrier on the seatbox on the driver's side and door trims on the cab doors. such things must have been considered superfluous by 1983.

now that you are running 37's do you suffer from any interference with the standard locker? perhaps that's not so relevant to you given the not inconsiderable distance you now have between your hubs and the body.

thanks for your help

The CSW's had the fuel tank in the rear, others had one or two under the seats I believe.

The 37's tuck in nicely at the rear and just kiss the leading edge of the front wing at full stretch:

post-21-1207701761_thumb.jpg

post-21-1207701742_thumb.jpg

Well, this was as stretched as I got it with a camera nearby, I've not got as scientific as measuring travel and such like. I do know in this photo opposite springs (front right / rear left) were completely flat.