Sumo bar from Defender

streaky

I purchased a Sumo bar from QT a number of years ago with the intention of fitting it to my 130 Defender.

The Defender has now been sold and I never got around to fitting the Sumo bar.

Will it fit my series I Discovery I wonder?

Thoughts?

S.

I put Defender Sumo bars on my Discovery and added the swan neck at the same time, so that I could swap to the Defender damper location as well.....which will involve a bit of fabrication at the chassis end.

HTH

I put a sumo disco drag bar on my Defender so that I could change over to the Disco drop arm and get rid of the Defender drop arm/POS ball joint, Had to use the bracket clamp for the steering damper, steering is much improved and now changing the balljoint out is a very simple job even in the field and I carry a standard left & right thread balljoint for all my steering as spares. 2 years ago we were driving to Aberdeen to catch the Iceland ferry and my mates circlip dropped out of his balljoint and he was all over the place when we got to Aberdeen there wasn't time to track a spare down so we got on the ferry and a spare was found on the Shetlands where we replaced it (about 4X the UK price) 2 days before we set off he had paid for it to be changed out as it had a bit of play and thought it a good idea. I know it wouldn't have happened if it had been fit correctly. I also have the bits to change my Ibex too but havn't got round to it yet.

Gaza

No pics to hand, but all you need to do is weld a bracket to the underside of the chassis rail to attach the steering damper to. Then get a drag link with a clamp and bo b is your uncle.

My bracket is a piece of channel section. Others use box.

My bracket is a piece of channel section. Others use box.

I used box but cut the side out of it so that I could get a spanner in. Drill at hole big enough for the threaded end of the damper and weld it on........in slightly the wrong place, grind off and try again.....and it's worked great since :)

Hi Streaky,

When i put a defender drag link and damper on my RRC based Traka i simply mounted the end of the steering damper through the side mount of the steering protection plate. Very easy to do (must be if i can do it)

Hi Streaky,

When i put a defender drag link and damper on my RRC based Traka i simply mounted the end of the steering damper through the side mount of the steering protection plate. Very easy to do (must be if i can do it)

But I have the SUMO Track rod Roger (not the drag link). The exposed one.

Its a 98' Discovery Series I. I didn't realise that the earlier and later Series I Disco's had different steering drop arms though!