Hazard Switch & Indicators - fault diagnosis

On 4/13/2008 at 9:53 AM, LandyManLuke said:

f you link 'permanent supply' (purple) to 'Left indicators' or 'Right indicators' the indicators on that side should light, constantly though, not flashing. this proves the bulb wiring is ok and you have supply to the loom plug.

If you link 'permanent supply' (purple) to 'supply to flasher' (light geen), the indicator stalk switch should work the indicators as normal (flashing). The indicator switch is connecting *flash* to 'Left Indicator' or 'Right Indicator' - the wiring is duplicated at the stalk switch. If you want to make a seperate link wire you can replicate the stalk switch action at the loom plug as well.

You can repeat the two tests above, using 'Light switch supply' instead of 'permanent supply', the ignition switch will need to be on the second click.

Being a bit slow on the uptake here, but it's the usual tale, 1990 ex-military petrol Defender, hazards working but no indicators using the steering column stalk. Carried out the 4 tests above and everything works as described. So, and this is where my brainbox is lagging behind the play, does that definitively demonstrate that it's the hazard switch that's at fault or is further fault finding required?

I "think" it has to be the switch because linking Supply to Flasher to Light Switch Supply is replicating what should be happening when the hazard switch is off and with these two linked you have to turn the ignition on in order for the steering column stalk switch to operate, in other words as per normal operating.

Apologies for slowness but my northern hemisphere brain is still adapting to working upside down as well as coping with 28-30C temperatures in February :-)

Thanks Western. I tested my theory by soldering a piece of 15A fuse wire between the Supply to Flasher and Light Switch Supply pins on the switch to replicate what should be happening on the inside when it's turned off. Plugged the switch back in and lo and behold - working indicators again. So new switch on order and in the meantime I've a temporary fix to at least give me working indicators. Now for the new brake lines on the project S3 Lightweight!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Great article, 

replaced my 86 110 petrol with LED lights all round and had the fast blink and leak to the other side indicators. replaced with LED flasher relay, no chnage

Bought the LED with earth from BoBits, and didn't get round to fitting it for a couple of months [ truck is in garage undergoing restoration]

This wekend, decided to fit the LED but now no indicators work at all, or the hazard [or the horn], i'm guessing from posts that there could be a common earth on the column indicator/horn switch, where is it please?, is it just one of the multiplug connectors [ will take it out and clean them up ]

any advice gratefully received

cheers

Iain