Howdy!

Righto!

i'm currently planning a trip to Kenya next summer. why is he telling us this i hear you ask?

well. i'm planning to drive there in a defender. now. i am a car enthusiast, and have been a passenger/pusher offroad many a time, so i kind of know the deal, however i have never actually owned or maintained a land rover.

currently i have a couple of minis, so i can hold my own against most problems that a classic will throw your way on a rainy afternoon, but what i don't know is all the inside info on the various models etc.

my questions (the first of many :D) are this;

1. what model would be best? I'm thinking 110, because i'll need the space

2. what engine? I'm thinking petrol V8 because its powerful enough to get me there and if i need the extra power i definitely don't want to find i don't have it!

3. what modifications would need to be made and what should i go for in terms of winch, bull bars, roofrack etc.

also, i have noticed that many people fit a tent to the top, but have also heard that a normal tent pitched on top works just as well, anyone want to clarify that?!

any help would be greatly appreciated, i'm planning on finishing then selling my mini in the summer and investing in the landy and preparing it over christmas this year, so im in the early stages right now, but we all know how time flies when you have a car to complete!!

Hey,

1. 110 is the prefered choice but most mechanically sound land rover should manage but it depends on duration and how many people you are carrying etc. I am planning an expedition in my 90 but that will only be 2 people and so you still have the same size load space( i think) just without the extra seats!

2. I think that most people opt for the 200 or 300 tdi as it is should be beefy enough for what you need but more importantly it can be sorted out by your avergae bush mechanic if anything goes wrong as they are still producing the 300 tdi for the defender's in africa. Also it can withstand water alot better.

3. a roofrack is pretty important in terms of tent and jerry cans and just general storage. I have a brownchurch which are about £400 for the 110 (heavy duty). You will also need some sort of storage system-just have a look round the forum as there is quite alot around about storage including and excellent DIY drawer system by godlykepower. The winch really depends on your budget and also how much you are planning on using it. Warn is a very popular choice and the xp 9500 is good. I have fitted a xd9000i which works well for me and is at the lower end of the warn price range.

Hope This helps!

Pete

I was only going for a V8 for availability of fuel, is diesel just as easy to get as petrol?

if not then i'll definitely go for the diesel!

i'm going with at least one other person, if not more, though if the number exceeds 4 then we'll opt for a 110 and a 90 and go in convoy (which i would personally prefer, purely for safety!)

The tent is a major issue for me because personally i'd sleep in my seat or on the bonnet, but i know my fellow travellers wont!!

maybe i'll sleep on the front seats and just get them to pay for their own tents :D

A 110 is a good choice, more space inside and a better ride. The 110 load space is bigger than a 90's, even with the extra row of seats in a CSW. You might even consider a 130/127 depending on budget.

The V8 isn't a bad idea (it would be my choice, but I'm biased :P ) however, the standard ones are very under-tuned in the 110, the Range Rover version (same engine) has ~50% more power :o (165bhp as opposed to ~110bhp) although that's partly down to fuel injection which, depending on your disposition, you may not want. Certainly the standard EFi would not be my choice. A good solid 3.5 with MSEFI would be about right if you're OK with wires.

A TDi is a sensible idea but they're not without their problems, especially as they're getting older. Not sure about the comment that they're more easily fixed, the V8 isn't exactly complicated and most issues with them are rubbish electrics or ancient carbs. If you go TDi you'll need to familiarise yourself with changing cambelts.

In sand you need a good bit of power to keep things moving, I'd want to hear from someone who'd driven in those conditions if a TDi would be up to the job or not - having to keep the turbo spinning can be a drawback, and TDi's can get hot when working hard.

Water resistance is not a biggie, it's an expedition so you're not going to be aiming for the deepest puddle you can find.

As for equipment - don't get carried away bolting all the "expedition" gear to it, you'll weigh it down to no useful advantage. A roll cage isn't a bad idea, a roof tent can be bought or made, but the more heavy duty super-extreme expedition gear you hang off it the more likely it is to get stuck or break down under the strain.

Keep it simple, listen to people who have been there & done it, not people who are selling you equipment.

If you want to try before you buy, find a local LR club and get to a few driving days, see if you can jump in with people who own vehicles like the one you're considering or even have a drive to see what you think and how it performs off-road.

Firstly: hello and welcome!

I can echo the above re: 110. You can't have too much space overlanding. Even if you end up with 2 vehicles, the extra wheelbase of the 110 will make for a more comfortable ride over the rough stuff.

A lot of people opt for the hard top but a station wagon would be just as good (you can always remove sears etc and if you need the additional security, just put a guard over the rear windows.

For the roof rack, don't put too much up there. Land Rover suggest no more than 75kg. Keep all the heavy stuff low down. Roof tents are ideal for quick and easy unpacking (and keeping the beasties out) but it means you can't strip the vehicle down quickly if you're setting up a base-camp somewhere and heading out from there. I don't think you'd want to pitch a normal tent on the roof but I may have misunderstood you.

Winch is probably a good idea - although you'll be adding significant weight to the front. Particularly worth considering if you are only one vehicle. Remember your truck will weigh a lot more with equipment and when stuck so don't skimp (remember there are alternatives to winches if you're only going to use if infrequently). Once you've added winches, racks, gear... you'll need to upgrade the suspension. Some people just go for a HiCap setup but often people go for twin dampers at the rear.

V8 vs Diesel? Your choice. A modern diesel will probably be fine but some people worry about the field-maintainability of a computer controlled engine (although plenty go overlanding all the time without any issues). A V8 will be easily understood and serviced but doesn't handle water well (only an issue if you require lots of river-fording). An older diesel is fine as well. Probably not much in it now between availability of petrol and diesel (although depends where you're going). Make the decision once you have an idea of your destination.

There are loads of good books to read (let us know if you want a list) and magasine artices. I think this month's LRO has something on overlanding as well.

Let us know how your planning goes.

I'm in need of EVERYTHING! any information you can give me in preparing the landys! (and of course buying them!)

Currently here is what i'm heading for;

110 Landy, Diesel (purely because it's easier to find)

Full Roof Rack

winch (just because i'd curse myself if i didnt have one and ended up needing it!!)

Suspension Upgrade

Roof Tent

Fuel Tank Upgrade

Water tank

This is a basic idea, i know i'll need all kinds of things as well as this, like jacks, spades etc. but this is what i'll do first!

Get a good hi-lift Jack you can mount on the back where you can always get to it. Also you'll want to make sure you have the tires for where you are going. If you get an older diesel like mine you'll probably end up getting stock wheels with it which are very heavy and don't always have great tires on. Having a 200TDi I find they are never lacking in power and if in doubt stick it in low ratio.