What does this fuse control?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know anything about the wiring for the air conditioning unit on a 110 Defender 1996?

I have one that seems to work fine! But when I was tinkering about with it I noticed that there was a blown fuse on the electrical relay system under the passenger side seat ( where the battery is) the thing is, I changed the 15amp fuse, all was well but when I turned the air con on and the clutch for the air con kicked in the fuse blew!!! but the air con seems to work perfectly well, I mean its never going to be climate control ha ha! But to me it seems quiet effective.

Does anyone know what this fuse does!!!!

post-3299-1208230945_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know anything about the wiring for the air conditioning unit on a 110 Defender 1996?

I have one that seems to work fine! But when I was tinkering about with it I noticed that there was a blown fuse on the electrical relay system under the passenger side seat ( where the battery is) the thing is, I changed the 15amp fuse, all was well but when I turned the air con on and the clutch for the air con kicked in the fuse blew!!! but the air con seems to work perfectly well, I mean its never going to be climate control ha ha! But to me it seems quiet effective.

Does anyone know what this fuse does!!!!

post-3299-1208230945_thumb.jpg

I have now got the fuse to hold in! But the wiring is getting fairly hot, so taking it to an auto electrician asap!

Still don't know what it controls? the air con may be blowing slightly more but hard to tell! May be that my head is stuck against the vents as I'm measuring the load its pulling!

Anybody any clues to what would cause this? I've cleaned the earth connections(scrapped the paint off and tightened)

Cheers Ted.

I guessing here but that doesnt look like a Lr fuse / relay units, so you can only trace the wire and see where it ends up or if you know what extra equitment your truck has see what isnt working. i take it thats under your seat? nice wiring but unsure what its for without looking round to be honest.

I'm looking at a Manual which says its for a later year, and for the V8 engine (is that what you have?) but the fuses appear to be for the blower and the radiator fan, as well as the compressor clutch. Clearly, from what you say, the blower and the clutch are operating, but what about the radiator fan? I'm thinking you would only notice it's absence if the engine got so hot the condensor failed to work and an AC pressure switch broke the circuit for the compressor clutch.

HTH.

I'm looking at a Manual which says its for a later year, and for the V8 engine (is that what you have?) but the fuses appear to be for the blower and the radiator fan, as well as the compressor clutch. Clearly, from what you say, the blower and the clutch are operating, but what about the radiator fan? I'm thinking you would only notice it's absence if the engine got so hot the condensor failed to work and an AC pressure switch broke the circuit for the compressor clutch.

HTH.

Its not the V8 but the 300Tdi 96 version but its an import to Australia so dont know whether the air con was an after thought or standard LR????

Yes its under the passenger seat.

Look at the top hose. Where the alli elbow comes out to the top hose.

There's two thermo switches there. Well there could be. If there is take the wires off and see what happens. They control the aircon fans in front of the aircon rad to stop over heating when it's a little warm.

mike

Look at the top hose. Where the alli elbow comes out to the top hose.

There's two thermo switches there. Well there could be. If there is take the wires off and see what happens. They control the aircon fans in front of the aircon rad to stop over heating when it's a little warm.

mike

Cheers will look tomorrow as its late now, can't say as I've ever seen the fan work???

Cheers will look tomorrow as its late now, can't say as I've ever seen the fan work???

well I've found the problem/the auto electrics garage did anyway. Turns out it was the condenser fan, thats the fan on the front of the radiator for the air con, should have checked it really but didn't think it would be something so easy!!! While I'm thankful that they have identified the fault the price they wanted to charge to mend it means I'll not be using that dealership again 650 dollars, as far as I can see the fan bolts to the front of the radiater with three small bolts, so how hard can that be to renew!!!!

"Turns out it was the condenser fan, thats the fan on the front of the radiator for the air con, should have checked it really but didn't think it would be something so easy!!!"

Especially when you had been pointed to it already!!

From post 4 "... what about the radiator fan?"

Cheers.