Broken Steering box

Whilst i was offroading at the weekend i heard a pop and my steering decided not to work. after getting it to a hard bit of ground by turning the wheels manually, i investigated and found that the shaft that is connected to the drop arm has dropped out, and i suspect that the shaft has broken. i have had a look on the tech archive and found the how to guide so know roughly how to change it. i have been offered a second hand steering box off a disco and am wondering if fit in my 90 (its a 300TDi by the way). also as i have power steering i am wondering if the power steering system is inside the steering box? and finally am i able to get a replacement shaft / service kit to repair it or does it have to be a replacement?

Tris

I don't think you can buy the bits off the shelf - stripping these things is complicated anyway. The pump is seperate, so the box itself is the only thing that needs changing. Ralph is lurking - so he's about to tell you what will fit in it's place :)

Never heard of the shaft snapping or coming out. I don't suppose you could post some pictures please?

Les.

I don't think you can buy the bits off the shelf - stripping these things is complicated anyway. The pump is seperate, so the box itself is the only thing that needs changing. Ralph is lurking - so he's about to tell you what will fit in it's place :)

Never heard of the shaft snapping or coming out. I don't suppose you could post some pictures please?

Les.

thanks for that, i will get some pics of it on friday when i as home next and post them on here. Once i get it out i will be able to have a good look and tell you exactly what happened.

Whilst i was offroading at the weekend i heard a pop and my steering decided not to work. after getting it to a hard bit of ground by turning the wheels manually, i investigated and found that the shaft that is connected to the drop arm has dropped out, and i suspect that the shaft has broken. i have had a look on the tech archive and found the how to guide so know roughly how to change it. i have been offered a second hand steering box off a disco and am wondering if fit in my 90 (its a 300TDi by the way). also as i have power steering i am wondering if the power steering system is inside the steering box? and finally am i able to get a replacement shaft / service kit to repair it or does it have to be a replacement?

Tris

Whos offered you the disco box Tris? Do you want me to have look tomorrow before you get back. Might save you a trip back to mailorder4x4 if you know its the box

Ade

If you could have a look ade it would be much appreciated. One of Ross's friends has one out of a disco and wants £40 for it. if it doesnt fit i can always see if there is still on on the 110 at combellacks or Joe said he has some over his place.

I am also able to get hold of a steering box of an H reg 110 which has a 6 stud pattern on the top of the box whereas mine only has four studs. will this fit in the place of my box?

Hi Tris, Just had a look at the disco box, the holes appear to be in the same position as my truck steering box. £40 sounds good. Would offer you mine but hink the discos sold.

Ade

i replaced the steering box at the weekend and managed to get hold of a disco steering box which i can confirm does the job perfectly, the only differnce was the drop arm. after i took the old steering box out and stripped it down i was able to find the problem, the shaft had sheared off, attached is some photos of the shaft stripped down on the bench.

post-4992-1208971344_thumb.jpg

post-4992-1208971352_thumb.jpg

post-4992-1208971359_thumb.jpg

post-4992-1208971373_thumb.jpg

so does anyone know if a disco box will fit into a 300TDi 90?

Same box on both vehicles, LR part STC8384 4 bolt Adwest lightweight power steering box.make sure you use the 90's original drop arm as the Discovery one is different.

i managed to get a steering box off a disco for £40 from the local scrapyard and it was swapped over within a couple of hours. £40 is alot better than £167 +VAT in my opinion

I'll agree with that :D loads better for your wallet.glad you got it sorted quickly.

May I suggest that you keep the Discovery drop arm and use a Discovery drag link too. Discovery drop arms use ordinary ball joints, thus making ball-joint replacements in the future a doddle. You'll need to weld a bracket for the steering damper onto the drag link though.