Steering problems- revisitied

:angry: Hi fellows. After sleeping over this for a while I decided to let it out. Going under the Landy td5 110 99 mod with lots of jacks and support to avoid being sandwiched to mother earth, I took down the steering box ( to change the drop arm... a thing which could have been done insitu) HAMMERED AND WHACKED the drop arm ( followed by foul language persistent howls and yells and fearful screams,, neighbors thought I was getting mad and nearly called the police) Whiles there I changed the Springs, the Shocks in front and did the same to the rears...( all shocks changed and springs changed.. There were also the use of foul language as the spring gave way once and nearly mashed fingers to bits. :blink: .. owmygawd...)

The problem at hand is that the steering simply lives it's life... A turn to the left or right goes unendingly and there is no corelation between my twists and the tires' movement.. I swing like a jojo... I had to park the car...I have done some reading here but really not satisfied so thought of sending this... Anyone been to this problem..? I read somewhere I must tighten the drop arm....or the Bushings... ( right spelling?) I am new though but my operations lately are more than a mechanic.... :unsure:

post-7610-1208375022_thumb.jpg

post-7610-1208375040_thumb.jpg

post-7610-1208375073_thumb.jpg

:rolleyes:

Hi Les.. Cool and good to get you on track. The selection of words were meant to attract readers and get help.. :ph34r: It did.. All i mean here is that it is dificult to get the steering straight. Or better still Unstable.. A left turn goes llllllllllllleft and a right turn goes rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright... surely it swings like a jojo :P ....Well I will read your thread once more,,,, I think the 34mm nut on the drop arm needs further tightning,,,, :blink:

:rolleyes:

Hi Les.. Cool and good to get you on track. The selection of words were meant to attract readers and get help.. :ph34r: It did.. All i mean here is that it is dificult to get the steering straight. Or better still Unstable.. A left turn goes llllllllllllleft and a right turn goes rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright... surely it swings like a jojo :P ....Well I will read your thread once more,,,, I think the 34mm nut on the drop arm needs further tightning,,,, :blink:

I did manage to find the diagnoses for the Vague steering. I simply read a thread somewhere and did have to make adjustment on the Steering Box. The car drives now in a real good condition...

Thanks Les

(...)

HAMMERED AND WHACKED the drop arm

(...)

This might have been the real reason for the following play in the steering box.

Hammering the drop arm of can easily damage the bearings (and seals) in the steering box.

The correct method is to use a puller.

Leave the nut on by a few turns while you tighten the puller - then everything wont come flying off...

"the correct method is to use a puller". Hmmmmm I've broken more pullers than I can remember, some of them the genuine Churchill item. If it doesn't want to come off, leave the thing on!

I have heard (here somewhere) that one way is to loosen the nut a bit and then go for a drive around the block.

The one method that works is to take out the steering box and push the shaft through the arm using a 30ton press.

:blink: ... Kim you are d#%&M right.... I guess we all learn by our mistakes.. :( Luckily this should hold for a while. It was a real messy job...Surely I shall let it any unmovable part stay when it refuses to burge,,, i actually broke one solid puller.. :ph34r: I will listen to the Gurus next time.. IT is gonna be INSITU...... NO matter what!!! :P

"the correct method is to use a puller". Hmmmmm I've broken more pullers than I can remember, some of them the genuine Churchill item. If it doesn't want to come off, leave the thing on!

(...)

Jim, you need one of these:

post-1230-1208595188_thumb.jpg

10-tonne hydraulic puller.... Makes removing the drop arm a quite simple job! Dont know any suppilers in your part of the world, but in Denmark it can be bought from Impartex.dk. Maybe they can advise of an international distributor.

Btw... Whats the meaing of the sentence below your avatar picture... Something about 50000 IP-adresses banned???