Lift Kit Ride Comfort

Josh

Hi all,

Just bought a 300tdi discovery and i'm thinking of ordering a 1.5" lift kit from mm4x4 to go with my kumho kl71 245/75 r16s. Im wondering what the ride comfort will be like on road? I have heard that lift kits make the land rover more unpredicatble on corners and at higher speeds. Could I leave the roll bars on without sacrificing articualtion off road?I would appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Josh

The best compromise I've ever had is Old Man Emu +2" shocks and springs kit. Gwyn Lewis sells them but ensiure all your bushes are in good order - that will help. Clickie Linky: Gwyn Lewis

The anti roll bars will limit articulation off road. Without them on the road a Discovery is like a boat! Suggest leave them on for the monent and see if you can live without taking them off. Hope this helps?

Simon.

Could I leave the roll bars on without sacrificing articualtion off road?

Its not just maximum articulation (how far it can move), but also weight transphere between wheels as the suspension articulates you need to bear in mind. After fitting 'Heavy duty' (stiffer) lift springs to a RRC it went much better on road, towing and carrying heavy loads. Off road I had the improved clearance, but several times it suffered due to the increased weight transphere and lacking traction before it reached full articulation. For what that RRC did most of the time it was a good compromise. Anti roll bars have a similar effect to stiffer springs in this respect.

The second lift I did was with springs that were a fair bit longer and only slightly stiffer than standard rather than HD. I've had far less traction issues off road, though on road its as stable as a ford fiesta :ph34r: and with over half a ton in the back (and no self leaving unit) the head lights were lighing the hevans rather than the road, but hey its an offroad toy rather than a daily drive.

Thanks for the feedback and advice so far!

I have ordered the lift kit now :).

Would it be possible to put spacers between the anti roll bar brackets and the chassis to conpensate for the lift?would this make the lift kit work better off road?

Sorry if these are novice questions but im new to coils springs! i was a leafy before i bought the discovery.

Cheers