Few problems I need advice on

kevinr

I have a 3.9 V8 manual disco 1'P' registered, and recently it has started to show a couple problems.

When I have been running it for a while, and I have to stop the engine (to refuel or while waiting at train crossings) The engine sometimes fails to start properly unless I keep the revs up with the accelerator.

When I turn the key, the engine fires up and the revs go upto a little over 1000rpm, but when it settles down, it drops to nothing and the engine dies. The only way to get it going is to apply the accelerator a little and keep them up manually. Once I'm moving it's fine.

The problem has never shown itself when starting from cold.

The second problem only shows itse;f when moving, or rather, when slowing down. The car starts to shudder, and there's a horrible banging noise coming from the drive shaft underneath...it's like the wheels and car are trying to go faster then the engine is allowing them to.

Any deas on what I can look at first would be appreciated.

TIA

Hi Kevinr Number 1. Could be the By-pass air valve at the rear of the plenum chamber gumed up and sticking so unplug and unscrew it and soak in carb cleaner or thinners and replace, taking care with the fibre washer. Also check for any air leaks damaged hoses or loose clips etc.

Number 2. Could be your hand brake is not releasing fully. Get underneath and slacken the the shoes fully then re-adjust to three clicks on the hand brake lever. Hopefully that will cure the problem, thats what I did and "it worked for me"

Regards

Hi Kevinr Number 1. Could be the By-pass air valve at the rear of the plenum chamber gumed up and sticking so unplug and unscrew it and soak in carb cleaner or thinners and replace, taking care with the fibre washer. Also check for any air leaks damaged hoses or loose clips etc.

Number 2. Could be your hand brake is not releasing fully. Get underneath and slacken the the shoes fully then re-adjust to three clicks on the hand brake lever. Hopefully that will cure the problem, thats what I did and "it worked for me"

Regards

hi teabag, thanks for the reply, I will try these on my next day off, but one more question, where is the handbrake on these things (and I am refering to the shoes and adjustment gubbins :) ) I've already had the rear discs off, so I know it's not there.

The handbrake is a drum-type brake on the back of the transfer box - easiest way to see it is to look at the front end of the rear propshaft.

On the air-valve - I used to regularly clean mine which cured similar symptoms for a while only - then finally I bought a new one and since then it's been fine - however it did cost over £50 if I recall correctly!

Three clicks dont matter any more so long as the lever has reserve travel.

I would look at the prop universal joints first asap! grip them and twist them any movement means new joint required.

Lynall

I checked the drive shafts today (while looking for the speed sensor..whadoyaknow!! the speedo stopped working today :unsure: ) the rear one is solid as hell, however, the front one has play, not in the join, the entire shaft between the front axel and transfer box turns slightly..is this concern? or is this normal?

looks like I sorted the first problem, after removing and cleaning the valve, this did nothing, infact, the problem escalated....theres no feeling quite like the feeling you get when the engine cuts out during a turn..and you lose power steering!...anyway, I followed some more advice and unplugged the ecu..now my revs are more stable and sidle nicely just below the 1k mark.