manifold gasket

I have just found out that i need to change my exhaust manifold gasket. How tricky is this? Will there be any other bits that need replacing as a result of doing this. eg other gaskets? also is the exhaust manifold secured with bolts or stud and nuts. The guy i've spoken to says it should be studs but I have bolts. Any advice

would be gratefully received. Cheers Frogmeister

Then it's a quite straightforward job. Some of the bolt heads may be a bit tricky to get at but other than that there won't be anything to cause a crisis. The turbo oil lines can be a pain if you leave them connected.

The normal 300 head has studs for the manifold, as you know and uses flanged M10 nuts that have been slightly squeezed so that the hole is not round (I assume this is for nut locking purposes). This may be why your gasket is leaking now since using bolts does away with this method of locking the nut although these gaskets are renown for leaking.

HTH

Mo

Funny enough, they are renowned for leaking on the inlet side where the bolts are much smaller. It's the TD5 that suffers from blown exhaust gaskets normally caused by the teeny-weeny 8mm studs breaking, and that is normally caused by the single piece very long manifold warping. This can't happen with the 300Tdi as the manifold is in three pieces.