temperature advice TD

hi all. i hae had a good search of the forums and cant seem to find an answer.

my 110 still has the 2.5TD engine fitted ( until i can afford to put the TDI in ). she has twin kenlowes fitted which are on a thermostate switch. this was all set up when i got it.

well yesterday while out playing the thermostate stopped working and kept the fans on permenatly which has the effect of killing the battery :blink: ....its just because they are on all the time.

i was to worried about running with no fans on so only had the 1 running all the way home after cleaning the rad out.

the temp guage normally sat at half way on the guage...but last night it was sat half way between half way and 3 quaters. thats with the 1 fan running.

im now not sure if the fans were set up right in the first place ( you cant hear them when moving ) and the temp was being kept too low or infact the temp at which it was running at on the way home last night was the correct temp?

can 2.5TD engine owners tell me roughly where on the guage yours sits ???

will give me a rough idea where to aim for when setting it all up again ( and waterproofing the relays and thermo switch )

If you were using the supplied thermal switch with the Kenlowes, then it's not surprising it failed, they are very poor quality.

Temperature senders get more unreliable with age, so it's no guarantee that your engine is actually running hot. The best way to tell is to fit a new sender (which are cheap) and see if the guage reads the same. Digital senders are by far more accurate. Your radiator core may still be blocked and the best way to tell is to shine a light through from the inside and look from the outside to detect any areas that are still blocked. These engines are a bit delicate anyway - especially with regard to running too hot - the pistons have a nasty habit of cracking.

Les.

If you were using the supplied thermal switch with the Kenlowes, then it's not surprising it failed, they are very poor quality.

Temperature senders get more unreliable with age, so it's no guarantee that your engine is actually running hot. The best way to tell is to fit a new sender (which are cheap) and see if the guage reads the same. Digital senders are by far more accurate. Your radiator core may still be blocked and the best way to tell is to shine a light through from the inside and look from the outside to detect any areas that are still blocked. These engines are a bit delicate anyway - especially with regard to running too hot - the pistons have a nasty habit of cracking.

Les.

hi les. you are spot on mate. it is the original kenlowe thermal switch. ( see just learnt a new term ;) ). i think by the sounds of it i have been lucky to date , it seems to have kicked in everytime on the same readying as the guage never went above half way. but now its running up to 3 quaters. i have to keep this engine in for as long as i can. i am hoping to make it last for about 12 months... ;) ...optimistic? who knows.

i have had a good look through the rad and it seems all clear. although the idea of the light behind i will try tomorrow. i might also back flush the rad and engine to be on the safe side. i might try and sourch a digi thermal switch as it sounds like it may do a better job......i dont tow anything with the 110 so i know i shouldnt over load it unless i do it my blocking the rad with mud.

my TD did 115k with only a cam follower and head gasget go still worked when i took it out. well am going to put in dads 110hicap as it's only got a 2 1/4 in at the mo.

i had the viscus fan and mine was alwes between 1/2-3/4 not that that was a good thing