Just been informed by NFU that my new purchase attracts a higher rate of insurance. 110 Td5 Hard Top is group 9. Puma County Hard Top is group 12. This equates to an increase of £135 in premium.

Presumably the insurance grouping is governed by an external body?

MINESAPINT

Actually reading their site further, it appears that as well as security, it is also governed by 0-60 time (which I can't believe has changed much), original price (about the same) and cost of replacement parts from a standard list.

It still amazes me that it has lept 3 places.

Thanks for replies but I cannot make anything out with the links. I am not sure whether it is because I am on dial up or it is just my computer. The thing is when I went to the NFU office today the assistant could not find a 2.4 litre Defender, only 2.495 litre. She seemed to think I had made a mistake as all their computer records were kept updated with new models etc! I left the office and she phoned me a couple of hours later claiming to have found the correct model. I wonder if she has in fact quoted me for wrong model after all & was hoping to check the insurance group myself. I also phoned Adrian Flux who were in fact about £100 more and when I asked them for the insurance group they said "the model is too new to have been placed in a group"!

Any more help appreciated.

MINESAPINT

Thanks cipx2,

Adrian Flux were correct. Vehicle does not exist. I followed your instructions & only 90's were displayed. Vehicle is Defender County Hard Top 110 2402 cc 2008 3 doors estate diesel manual.

I did note however the 90's are group 12 which tallys with information from NFU.

MINESAPINT

Vehicle does not exist. I followed your instructions & only 90's were displayed. Vehicle is Defender County Hard Top 110 2402 cc 2008 3 doors estate diesel manual.

mmmmmmm, :lol: not very good at following instructions then ;) , or observant. As pic above shows, 110's do exist

Cheers

Steve :P

my comment was just explaining that 110's do exist, as it was stated that 90's only came up, but I can see now that he probably meant that only 90's came up for 3/2 door - so I'll take back my comments ;)

Seeing as 90's and 110's are all in same insurance bands, you can be pretty sure that a 110 hardtop will be too.

isnt it better to speak to a person?i know that as usless as they may be sometimes (i had an hour long argument about wether a 90 is a van or not!) but usually they can overide things manually

... there is a security code which indicates that an alarm/immobiliser has been fitted as standard by the manufacturer, and whether that alarm/immobiliser has been submitted to testing at Thatcham. The codes are as follows:

* N2 = An immobiliser that has not been tested by Thatcham
* N1 = An alarm/immobiliser combination that has not been tested by Thatcham
* T2 = An immobiliser that has been judged to comply to the Thatcham criteria.
* T1 = An alarm/immobiliser combination that has been judged to comply to the Thatcham criteria.

Source: http://www.abi.org.uk/carinsurance/help.asp

Thanks guys,

The first problem I had was I was entering 2400 cc's not 2402 cc's so failed to get any results. I then understandably was searching for 3 door vehicles as it is what I am interested in. This returned no results for 110's. I do think this goes a long way to explaining why so few insurers are able to insure a 110 hard top 3 door as they just cannot find them on the system.

I do not think it necessarily follows that Hard Tops will be the same insurance group as Station Wagons as Hard Tops are cheaper but as the Hard Tops are not rated assumptions have to be made that they are the same. Group 12.

With regard to the alarm/immobiliser question. I am not sure T2 is appropriate. From the Land Rover price list the vehicle has "Immobiliser & perimetric/volumetric alarm". T2 is just an alarm. Don't suppose it would make any difference?

MINESAPINT

With regard to the alarm/immobiliser question. I am not sure T2 is appropriate. From the Land Rover price list the vehicle has "Immobiliser & perimetric/volumetric alarm". T2 is just an alarm. Don't suppose it would make any difference?

MINESAPINT

I thought about that but I'm guessing they've approved the immobiliser but not the alarm. As you say - probably wouldn't make that much difference.

MINESAPINT

T2 is an immobiliser - one that meets Thatcham cat 2 security levels.

Your car has an alarm/immobiliser, it is certified to meet T2 criteria, so only the immobiliser part is certified, the alarm is not. Had landrover bothered to make/fit a decent alarm then it would have met T1, Cat 1 alarm & immobiliser criteria and would probably have attracted a lower ins group.