RRC Electric Sunroof Sticking

V8david

Well, the latest bit of british leyland magic on my RR to go on strike is the sunroof. I have a 1989 3.5 Efi with electric metal sunroof. It tips up at the back, in the sort of vent position, but it wont go back into the roof to fully open. I looked on top while pressing the button and the back of the sunroof is trying to drop down to go into the roof, but it seems to be sticking and trying to take the roof with it at the back.

Last time I used it it would go eventually if I rocked the switch a few times. Almost looks as if I lubed the seal along the back of the sunroof it would drop in and be on it's way. Is there any scope for adjusting it? Just needs to be forward a fraction to drop in. So frustrating! :angry:

Any ideas/advice much appreciated!

Well, the latest bit of british leyland magic on my RR to go on strike is the sunroof. I have a 1989 3.5 Efi with electric metal sunroof. It tips up at the back, in the sort of vent position, but it wont go back into the roof to fully open. I looked on top while pressing the button and the back of the sunroof is trying to drop down to go into the roof, but it seems to be sticking and trying to take the roof with it at the back.

Last time I used it it would go eventually if I rocked the switch a few times. Almost looks as if I lubed the seal along the back of the sunroof it would drop in and be on it's way. Is there any scope for adjusting it? Just needs to be forward a fraction to drop in. So frustrating! :angry:

Any ideas/advice much appreciated!

The one on my Disco behaved in a similar manner - I found that the fixing bolts had come loose on one side - just a suggestion.

Matt

You may find that the grease on the tracks etc. has gone hard and sticky and full of grit. Had a similar problem on my (albeit glass) sunroof and having cleaned, regreased and adjusted - worked a treat. Easiest to get to by removing the panel which is a bit fiddly, but not rocket science.

Ive had two go now, both replaced with solid roofs and the wiring used for toys!

Ha! Well yes, I guess that's the next option, lose the bloody thing altogether! :lol:

Will give it a go though, looks like we might get 10-15 minutes of sunshine this year so would be nice to get it open! Bet when I do get it open it wont shut! :blink::lol:

• 4 months later...

Any luck with your problem David? I have a sunroof which is playing up at the moment. One side seems to be working fine but the other doesn't seem to be moving. I kinda "helped it open" with a push upwardly, this freed is off but one side seems to be on strike. There's no sliding action at all from it.

Yes mate, works a treat now. I took the panel out, took off the seals and cleaned them with soapy water. They were rock hard and jamming the panel in the roof, bit of a clean and they're good as new! Also took out the headling section and tightened up the trim, that was loose and also causing it to stick.

It's easy enough to get out. The headling piece is clipped along the front edge of the panel with 6 clips. Pull them out and slide it back, then you can see the 6 screws holding the panel in, 3 each side. Unscrew them and lift the panel out. If you need to get the headliner bit out as well there's 2 rivets (one each side) attaching it to the slide mechanism, drill them out and it comes out nicely.

It's simple to get back together, bit fiddly and a PITA but you'll get there. I gave everything a good clean and smear of silicone grease and it works a treat.

Good luck with it mate.

Having said all that is your panel glass? In which case I don't know if this'll help at all :lol:

Yes mine is glass. It was working fine on our last forest drive so i dont know if there's maybe some gunk etc in any of the tracks. I took off the side inner panels and can see that one side is sliding and working fine but the other is totally jammed. I dont know if i've made it better or worse by pushing the sunroof up from the inside and helped it free off. Known me i've probably broke somit now lol.

Tricky to get in at but when i have more time i'll give it a go.

Cheers.

P.S. by the "panel" do you mean the actual sliding part of the sunroof i.e. the glass part in my case?