SUB100320 clutch pedal replacement

Thanks to all for the info supplied at this forum for changing the clutch pedal box with the newer upgraded SUB100320 type. I've changed mine now too, the clutch works fine but the pedal operation feels different. It's much lighter (what I was aiming for) but the return movement of the pedal feels a bit odd. It engages a bit low and from there it moves up quite a bit. I can not adjust that with the bolt on the back of the box. It feels like a sort of bump stop might be needed to stop the pedal raising any further...

Also I'm not sure if I should fit back the original spring of the old pedal type (the spring which did pull back the old pedal)? There is a connection hole on the new pedal arm for that spring but I've been driving the vehicle without at the moment. I've searched the forum but can not find the answer. Any info welcome.

Cheers

Marco

Marco,

Have you set the master cylinder push rod free play properly ?

Have you set the pedal height properly as it shows in the manual ?

I have one of these pedals and it does feel a bit odd on the pedal return as the spring starts working in the opposite direction but I don't need an additional spring !

Mo

Thanks

The pedal is sitting a bit high but the only way I can adjust that height is by moving the push rod nut to the end of the push rod. But that will make the clutch operate even lower (at end of stroke). If I do look at the image enclosed (out of a 300TDI work shop manual) I have noticed that the adjusting bolt on mine is placed much lower on the pedal box (see enclosed file, red arrow). It can not be used for lowering pedal height, actually as far as I can see it's meant to limited the down travel of the pedal. I do not have full parts catalogue for 300TDI of Td5 and maybe somting is slightly different on those pedal boxes?

Cheers

Marco

clutch.pdf

pedal hieght needs to be set as in the info you have any different & your clutch won't last long. the big metal box is the same part for all models, it's the smaller parts that are different, my 110 has the ANR5311 unit fitted & I've had no problems with the pedal hieght.

Hi Ralph, thanks, clutch has enough free play on the push rod so do not expect a problem with the plate wearing out. It's just that there is no height adjustment bolt at the place were it should be (see that pdf). On mine there is one bolt at the bottom (red arrow) but as far as I can see it's only limiting the pedal stroke (maximum stroke in). Height can only be set by moving the pedal arm backwards/forwards on the push rod.

Cheers

Marco

That's the pedal stop bolt/adjuster like the other's have, manual just says to set the lower edge of the pedal [bit where your foot goes] to 140mm above the floor with no mats in place. & you should have a minimum of 6mm free play before any pressure is felt.

the pic above is a genric parts diagram not a fully detailed engineering diagram, I suspect the operation of your pedal assembly is correct for a Td5 & the actual pedal arm is a different shape to the earlier vehicles hence the different location of the adjuster/stop bolt.

Hi Ralph, thanks, it's unfortunately not the same, if you adjust the lower bolt as fitted on mine you can not push the rod into the master cylinder. The only purpose is to limited the maximum stroke (of the push rod into the master cylinder) so with pedal pushed to the floor. On releasing the pedal there is nothing to limited the stroke out of the master cylinder (like there is on the box shown in Mo's picture and on older Defender type boxes).

Best might be to have a look at a Td5 (but mine is in Jo'burg) :rolleyes:

Thanks to all for the info supplied at this forum for changing the clutch pedal box with the newer upgraded SUB100320 type. I've changed mine now too, the clutch works fine but the pedal operation feels different. It's much lighter (what I was aiming for) but the return movement of the pedal feels a bit odd. It engages a bit low and from there it moves up quite a bit. I can not adjust that with the bolt on the back of the box. It feels like a sort of bump stop might be needed to stop the pedal raising any further...

Also I'm not sure if I should fit back the original spring of the old pedal type (the spring which did pull back the old pedal)? There is a connection hole on the new pedal arm for that spring but I've been driving the vehicle without at the moment. I've searched the forum but can not find the answer. Any info welcome.

Cheers

Marco

The engaging position is adjusted on the rod inside the rectangle lid. This also adjusts the pedal height. The bolt in the bottom of the box is a max pedal travel down stop. It seems to just stop ya from wearing out the carpet. My ANR 5311 has just got a very short bolt in there which doesn't even contact the pedal.

That return spring ur on about. It can be fitted if ya want. I havn't fitted it on mine as dont feel its required.

The engaging position is adjusted on the rod inside the rectangle lid. This also adjusts the pedal height. The bolt in the bottom of the box is a max pedal travel down stop. It seems to just stop ya from wearing out the carpet. My ANR 5311 has just got a very short bolt in there which doesn't even contact the pedal.

That return spring ur on about. It can be fitted if ya want. I havn't fitted it on mine as dont feel its required.

Thanks, that does sound like the same set-up I've got. I'm getting used to the new pedal operation now.

Cheers

Marco