No sidelights

I've just fitted a pair of Wipac Halogen headlights, tried them after putting it all back together and found the sidelights are not working, dip and main beam both fine and working at the correct position on the switch. I assume they run off the same fuse as the headlights? It is possible that on the driver's side the sidelight wiring was pulled so may have got a loose connection, but it's not that likely for the n/s and they are both out. Would a loose connection on one side take out both? I know it's illegal to drive without sidelights, so I am rather pressed to get this sorted. The rear lights do function on the sidelight setting.

This follows a day of taking the exhaust manifold off and on 3 times, due to trying to solve the ticking noise and a side repeater not working and the screw being well and truly rusted/rounded out, so this made my day really.

I'd be very surprised if the side, main and full lights run from the same fuse. My older LR (1988) certainly has seperate fuses, and for safety reasons I would have thought yours would be designed the same way.

I recently had an earth problem which took out my sidelights, you can check it quite easily by running a temporary bit of wire from the light fitting to the chassis. As both are out it's more likely to be an earth or supply problem than blown lamps.

Good luck.

Cheers for the replies. I think I may have pulled a connection out, probably the earth, in pulling away the light surrounds so I'll start there first. I am pretty sure both lights were working before the light conversion, though I hadn't used the vehicle for nearly 2 weeks. I'll be taking a look in the morning.

I pushed the connectors on the o/s about and that side came on, but the n/s refused. The fuses looked fine so I assumed it was wiring, but access is ridiculous on that side of the car. Eventually I just switched the right and left side fuses over and it worked. Either they were just loose (really didn't look it) or I don't know why that would work.... I'm pretty sure they were both working before I did the conversion so I don't see how that would have made anything in the fusebox loose...

Either way I should just be happy they're both working now I suppose.

Have you got glass fuses? if so they corrode terribly. remove the battery and rub the fusebox connections with a small wire brush (something like a plug cleaner) and a bit of vinigar to remove the corrosion. do the same on the fuses before putting them back