Selling my Disco

Matt B

Hi all

Unfortunately I have to let my Disco go but I am not quite sure how to pitch it...

She is a 300TDi on and R plate and is generally in very solid condition, the problem is that when I was feeling a little fatter in the wallet I used her for lots of greenlaning and some light offroading, not without consequence. The body is scratched from good old Cornish gorse and other flora and fauna and unfortunately due to my affinity with trees there is a dent in the passenger door and the drivers side rear quarter. The main damage was done to the lower quarters under articulation where the mud terrains caught the wheel arch and have ripped the alloy.

Now for the question - I was intending to put her back on road springs, replace the front splitter etc and polish out sctratches etc and hope to get a reasonable price as a tatty road car but it occours to me that the patina she has acquired makes her look quite rugged and I was wondering whether I will get as much for her if I leave her as is and sell her for greenlaning?

Also any idea of a ball park figure I should hope to get?

Thanks in advance

Matt

mileage and mechanical condition would come into it in your case. In prestigne condition you might get between £2.5 and £3.5 for it but bearing in mid what you've said and where you live your customer base is quite limited. Even farmers like a tidy truck :lol: I would be tempted to stick it in a local rag for 2999 ono and see what happens. If she is low mileage and has had lots of service history or evidence of care and will need no welding for a few years then try for a bit more.

HTHs

mileage and mechanical condition would come into it in your case. In prestigne condition you might get between £2.5 and £3.5 for it but bearing in mid what you've said and where you live your customer base is quite limited. Even farmers like a tidy truck :lol: I would be tempted to stick it in a local rag for 2999 ono and see what happens. If she is low mileage and has had lots of service history or evidence of care and will need no welding for a few years then try for a bit more.

HTHs

Unfortunately she has done 120k and has no history... DOH

make sure the truck is clean when you sell it, even under the bonnet. a clean car will always sell faster than one thats caked in mud. put the reciepts for all parts you have put on the truck in with the sale, shows you have been looking after it in the time you owned it. :)

Sometimes its better to leave it worts an all when it comes to dents and scratches as any attempt to make good that 'doesnt' can make potential buyers think there are more hidden nasties etc.

I would suggest a blooming good underbody jetwash is a must do as this will help give a 'caring' owner impression. I would use traffic film or wheel cleaner in the arches to bring back the factory paint finish to the stone guard finish also.

Also a clean interior is definately worth doing especially if 'Ma-lady' is with the punter :P

There are loads of mid-nineties disco's out there which are in very good condition where they have only done the school runs. £2k will get you a nice looking motor. I reckon poor bodywork will cost you £500 on the sale price.

I would find a new door in the right colour from a scrappy, then pick a local (cheap) bodyshop and negotiate a bargain basement price to tart it up for resale. You should then get the best part of £3k.

Guest noggy

get your wife to say she was the one that drove it about, and you never drove it.

cars owned by women always sell faster.

make sure its stupidly clean inside and underneath.

i believe anyone who i buying a disco 1, is either not bothered about the scratches/dents and they will expect them.

or they themselves are going to use it for green laning.

Thanks for all the replies, value wise I was rekoning on about £1800 - it appears that there might be good cars going for not much more but then I expect there are worse ones too.

What about the pitch tho - tart it up or sell it as a greenlaner?

M

If £1800 is your target then selling it as an "off roader" . Leave the mud tyres on, put a few big stickers (big W or big X etc), get it dirty and wrap a rope around the bumper or similar. Your target market would be someone with with a bit of spare cash who wants a second car as an off roader.