which makes are best

munkymush

Mmmm, genuine parts for me for water pumps. I use Dayco belts and have used loads of the main names for the idlers/pulleys etc as they are all much of a muchness.

There will now be a load of posts decrying Dayco belts ;) but also some others that will explain the suffix/prefix to part numbers and what they mean so you can check what you're getting for your money - I think 'G' at the end of the number is good, (G for Genuine), and nothing at all is bad?........

Dayco or Gates are the only belts I use. Avoid Britpart water pumps, Ive had huge trouble with them. My personal preference would be genuine or a quality after market product like TRW. Probably go for genuine tensioner/idlers but aftermarket are usually fine as long as they have a quality bearing like SKF and look well made. Gates and Dayco both do Kits including tensioner and idlers for some makes/models but not sure about a landrover.

Gates or Dayco both fine for belts, i'd agree with Les, Bearmach seem better than most if you don't want to splash out on genuine...

I had a Britpart water pump that lasted 11 days.... once and never again.

I always use Bearmach cam belt kits. The belt is Dayco and the crank sprocket is better quality than the genuine item.

Les.

And the kits normally include OEM INA fixed and movable idlers. And after having seen two broken belts on 300tdis caused by the Genuine crank gear, we will NEVER fit anything but the Bearmach forged item. I have only ever seen Dayco belts for a 300tdi, I didn't know there was any other make.

If I must moan, it is that the kit should include the crank o-ring and seal as they nearly always need to be changed. No problem, but you have to remember to buy them before you start.

And the kits normally include OEM INA fixed and movable idlers. And after having seen two broken belts on 300tdis caused by the Genuine crank gear, we will NEVER fit anything but the Bearmach forged item. I have only ever seen Dayco belts for a 300tdi, I didn't know there was any other make.

If I must moan, it is that the kit should include the crank o-ring and seal as they nearly always need to be changed. No problem, but you have to remember to buy them before you start.

ill get the bearmach kit then which o ring do i need jim? ill get the crank seal +front cover seal.. i didnt know theres an o ring thanks glenn

Yes I reckon it would look a bit stupid with allen keys sticking out of it :)

I must google these guys sometime to find out who they were - most likely Victorian type engineers with top hats and side whiskers. I always picture Brunel. But they did invent lots of things which we are still using. I puzzled a few guys the other day by referring to a 'Hooke joint' rather than a UJ. He invented loads of stuff back in the dark ages.

Allen Key

A hexagonal or hex screw head has a hexagonal hole turned by a Allen key. An Allen key is a hexagonal shaped wrench. The Allen key may have been invented by American, Gilbert F. Heublein, however, this is still being researched and should not be considered a fact. Heublein was an importer and distributor of foods and beverage. who in 1892 introduced "The Club Cocktails", the world's first bottled cocktails.

Les :)

had to change the water pump on my 300 tdi last weekend was tempted to stick a cheap copy from cruddocks on but out of curiosity rang my local main dealer up and was pleasntly surprised at the cost of, a genuine one £46 with the vat so went with that one, took the old one off and was amazed to find the old one was a copy on comparing the impeller on the genuine parts one it was cast bronze where as the copy was made from folded steel.