Land rover security

My first Defender was stolen. It had an immobiliser which didn't count for jack sh•t when the thieves came calling. I bought a clutch claw for my next Land Rover and I reckon the robbing bast*rds would have a real job to remove it, it's hard enough with the key. That said, a determined thief will find a way, and that usually involves a trailer. There is no substitute for the vehicle being out of sight. Mine was obviously targeted as it was always out in the open. I'm modifiying my garage at the moment to make room for the Landie.

I remember once thieves broke into neighbours car and guess how many people came out....0... none.. no one came out.. I just wonder why we equip our cars with these alarms which we hardly ever attend to when they call.... :unsure:

My landie is parked right outside my bedroom window and I have a syringe filled with acid... :ph34r: . I know it will serve it's purpose one day.... :blink:

Put the transfer box in neutral.

Then the thief will sit there rev'ing the engine wondering why the darn thing doesn't move at all ;-)

I never actualy thought of that! If the thief isn't fluent in a Land Rover's workings he'd overlook that.

Mine is secured with a nice beefy steering lock and I wrap a hardened chain around the pedals that is secured with a hardened lock.

Another thing is to talk to the neighbours and tell them that no-one moves/removes the vehicle but you, so if the thieves rock up in a tilt bed recovery truck or with an oversized Ifor Williams trailer, your neighbours should notify the police.

Community awareness does more to prevent crime than any alarm, immobiliser or pedal/steering locking mechanism

What if you get it on the paintwork? I've got one of those disklock things, it would be a pain to try and drive with and you'd only go round in circles anyway.

Destroyed paintwork or get the car stolen.. it is a matter of choice.. You guys have not met nutters who can use hardened tricks to steal a car they so desire.... :blink:

My landie is parked right outside my bedroom window and I have a syringe filled with acid... :ph34r: . I know it will serve it's purpose one day.... :blink:

More effective than throwing a bag full of E's at the thieving scum.

:P

Having just ordered a new model Defender what security devices would owners recommend if any. The ones I have heard of so far are disklok and full metal jacket or clutch claw. Thanks

Having read on this Forum and others suggestions on security, I purchased a cable lock (sort of thing you secure a bicycle with) for the spare wheel and a Clutch Claw for use on my new 90 SW.

The Cable lock seems fine but the Clutch Claw is proving a problem, seems the pins are too long and the different height of the clutch and brake pedals make the thing unstable. I'm discussing this with Centinel Security and it's likely they'll be sending me some shorter pins to see if this fixes the problem. They've not heard of any problems so maybe it's me instead.

If you can garage the vehicle this is a big plus clearly and reduces your Insurance premium, but you do need somewhere with 80" clearance and still the ability to close any up&over type door.

Tinting the rear glass provides less of a temptation to passing thiefs. Go for "Midnight" from Pentagon on the rear glass and "Light Smoke" on the driver/passenger door so the side aspect looks right and not too abrupt a change. No - "midnight" isn't as dark as it suggests, you won't end up looking like a blacked-out limo. You do get reflections from the rear door when viewed in the rear view mirror but you can't have everything.

Hope this helps.

-------------

'08 90 TDCi XS SW

I can't be bothered with something bulky that I have to manhandle every time I want to drive it. Chances are I wouln't fit it when leaving it for short periods of time and that'd be when it got nicked. My driveway, however, is a real bugger to get out of - so that'll slow them down :)

Best to get the "back to invoice" insurance and then don't worry about it for 3 years - all you'll lose are the bits you put on and inside. Didn't cost that much in the grand scheme of things. Failing that, a fuel isolator switch somewhere would be my preference. They can still flatbed it but you'll never stop the determined thief. For home, you can always install a discreet camera.

I'd be more interested in something that keeps my bits and bobs out of sight (no way to hide things effectively).

I've got an immobiliser touch key thing that was on the 90 when I got it, but I inadvertantly bypassed it when doing some wiring to fit an accessory (not going to say what I was wiring, obviously!) so I don't hold too much faith in it.

I use a steering lock when the car's parked anywhere for longer than 10 mins, and always nudge the transfer box into neutral. The sound of my 90 revving in neutral should be as good as any alarm!

and always nudge the transfer box into neutral

<_< I am reading this the whole time and wondering how this operation is performed.... I guess my "acid" technique gives me the creeps :blink: ... Can't take the sight of a thief screaming in agony after facing the full wrath of my syringe :blink: