big end noise

can anyone describe the sound made when the big end bearings are going? I'v had a noise appeare lately, a load knocking, low down on the engine, but only when engine revs are high, not on tick-over.

If it is big ends, can they be replaced with the engine in situ?

loud knocking noise more apparent on acceleration = big ends.

They are normally changeable in situ.

Please do say what engine it is you are talking about. If it is a Renault 4 I have no idea.

Yes, a rattling noise in the bottom of the engine. Try not to drive any more until fixed as within 3 minutes of the rattling starting I ended up with a large hole in both sides of the enigne and an engine replacement on my hands!

Pete

When a big end bearing went on my 2.25 the noise was horrendous, became very apparent all of a sudden. Like a loud deep metallic slapping- donk, donk, donk, donk.

i stopped straight away and towed it back to my parents place where i found that the end cap bolts on one of them were not a the torque they should be. I was very lucky and got away without breaking anything or damaging the crank. I changed the bearings, retorqued and some 6000 miles later all is good.

I was very lucky though.

loud knocking noise more apparent on acceleration = big ends.

They are normally changeable in situ.

Please do say what engine it is you are talking about. If it is a Renault 4 I have no idea.

no not a renault 4 but a 200 TDi defender