Fitted a roof light bar today

signia

Evening all.

So I got the new Paddock's light bar which came with some Wipac S7205 spot lamps. Figured for 20 quid more, it shouldn't matter if they get hit by the odd branch.

For some reason it took ages to fit - tidying wiring and finally realising that the earth connection wasn't good enough which is why they weren't working! But all done now, all wired in. just need to shorten a few cables when I get the chance. It really adds something to a Disco!

I noticed that the lamps spill downwards a lot though. They light up my windscreen and dash quite a bit and aren't really that comfortable to use. The lamp lenses themselves only have a few vertical lines in the middle, so there's not a lot of correction on the beam.

So, those of you with lightbars, what configurations do you use? Which lamps give you a perfect narrow long range beam?

I don't want to spend too much - they're quite vulnerable up there, and I prefer the rectangular look.

Probably worth mentioning that I've used uprated bulbs at 130W. Obviously I've upgraded the cabling, fuses and relays, but maybe they are just too bright? (I know they're not road legal, they run off an independent switch so don't automatically come on with main beam). Anyone had experience of using high power bulbs - should it make too much difference to my problem?

Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers.

How about the X-Eng ones?

http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-Lite.asp

They look pretty good actually. It might make my light bar look a bit weird though as it has four square brackets sticking out the front. I could grind them off I guess.

Reading that page did give me an idea though - the lights have a "hood" design. I'm wondering whether I could attach something to the bottom of the lights so that the light doesn't shine downwards...

Cheers BogMonster

I had the same problem on my Disco of lighting up the bonnet.

First it tried a few old tricks. Masking off the lower third of the lights helped a little but the range was effected somewhat.

I applied the matt black bonnet decal...again..it works to an extent...but when it's dusty/dirty you're back to square one.

Finally... I made some up-side down baseball caps peaks from 3mm aluminium plate and attached them under the lights. Problem solved. These ones are fixed using the existing side screws and I also used the industrial quick-loc tape (abit like Lego tape if they ever made it) for the bottom edge of the lamps bezel.

They look a bit goofy...but they're very effective in removing the bonnet glare.post-264-1211721628_thumb.jpg

Finally... I made some up-side down baseball caps peaks from 3mm aluminium plate and attached them under the lights. Problem solved. These ones are fixed using the existing side screws and I also used the industrial quick-loc tape (abit like Lego tape if they ever made it) for the bottom edge of the lamps bezel.

I've been thinking of something like that today.

Well, the plastic surround on the lights was deeper at the top, so I've rotated that a bit to see if it helps. Then I might try to fashion something - the screws on mine are at the front so might not look as neat.

I might look at alternative lights which aren't too expensive. I've seen round KC daylighters can have glare shields on them, which is ideal. Except they're pricey for hitting trees with.

Cheers.

Hi I did something similar to streaky but I used some old bike inner tube to cut and stretch around the lower part of the lamp to create a rubber eyebrow to sheild from downward light and it looks ok - has the benifit that it will compress if pushed against foliage.

Poor blown up picture but not got a close up one - hope you get the idea.

post-6099-1211795832_thumb.jpg

Still get a bit of glare from the bonnet but my car is dark gren anyway so not too bad

Firemannotsam

thanks everyone.

I have the option of sitting them higher like pinny, so I'll do that if I need to. I like your idea firemannotsam, I think I'll try to fashion something on lamp surrounds to do something like that.

cheers.