TD5 Squealing

Just started her up on Sunday and she nows squeals horribly under anything but the gentlest acceleration. sounds like the belts but the noise isnt coming from the front, got the missus to rev it up with my head under the bonnet and is coming from the back of the engine bay. maybe around the turbo?

tightened up all the air hoses etc WD40'd the belts at the front and its still screaming like a banshee. really really loud when I boot it.

any ideas what it could be?

Alex

I frequently had the same problem with the exhaust manifold on a chipped Td5 Defender. The longest lasting solution was to mill out all the webs between each cylinder run of the manifold and then check the head face was flat & true. The studs in the head were replaced by cap head bolts (M8x35 IIRC), except for the centre two (cylinder #3) - location for the gasket & manifold when assembling.

I found the problem never really went away until cap head bolts were fitted. The vehicle was sold a year ago and it is still running in my final configuration and apparently hasn't given a problem since.