How do I stop the shank of a track rod end from rotating

yup apply some (constant - don't belt it) force to the end to get the taper to bite.

I'm confused now. The taper narrows at the bottom so I would have thought that pushing the TR end down would push it into the taper. Surely pushing it up would just loosen it?

Ok, so either tap it down with the 'recently stolen from the camping box' rubber mallet or use a scissor jack type thing to gently push it down allowing the taper to bite.

Lovely, will try that tomorrow.

Next question: why do the track rod ends have grease nipples but not the drag link?

Was pleased with how easily the thread came out of the track rod. Last time I changed a TR end on the Clio it took days of heating the steering rod up with a blow torch and whacking it before it started to loosen. Made worse by the flats on the rod having rounded off. This one just unscrewed once the clamp was loosened. Brought a faint glimmer of a smile to my otherwise miserable oily face.

I usually remove the grease-nipple and use a G-clamp to get the taper to bite (it only needs a little pressure unless you have damaged the threads somehow).

As already stated, presense of grease nipples is down to brand.