accelerator cable

I have rebuilt a defender 90 ( 1990 ) and as a part of the process have replaced the engine with a newer 200TDI.

Everything works fine except in the last few months I have needed to replace the accelaerator cable 4 times! as it gradually seizes up at the end nearest the accelerator pedal.

I have tried everything from no grease / oil to soaking the latest cable in oil before fitting with no improvement.

The cable does not have tight bends and it is a mystery to me why it is failing.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be the cause. Thanks in advance.

If the outer cable isn't alighned properly, then the action of the pedal on the inner cable will cause it to saw through the outer one - causing the inner cable to fray and eventually seize-up or break. I can't see what else would cause it to be honest, unless water is getting inside it saomewhere and causing corrosion at the end. Is it a cheap make of cable?

Les.

If the outer cable isn't alighned properly, then the action of the pedal on the inner cable will cause it to saw through the outer one - causing the inner cable to fray and eventually seize-up or break. I can't see what else would cause it to be honest, unless water is getting inside it saomewhere and causing corrosion at the end. Is it a cheap make of cable?

Les.

Hi Thanks for your comments. No water, mended the holes!. I dont think that the cable is a cheap type, if such a thing exists. Having also changed the bulkhead for a newer one, I will have a real close look at the alignment. The cable end is fitted into the pedal with a pin and this moves freely. The location of the cable fitting is a by just a simple plastic / rubber fitting pushed in to the hole in the bulkhead, a fixed location. Maybe the whole pedal assembly is out of alignment!

I'll have a closer look but beats me at the moment.

Can rebuild a whole vehicle and get messed up on a simple cable. Hmm Landrovers, back to the garage later.

Alan

Have you got an engine to chassis earth strap ?

Mo

found the problem, the mounting plate for the pedal assembly was out of line with the cable hole. Not obvious until you put head in the foot well but once you know,

you wonder why you didnt spot it in the first place. The cable was sawing into the outer!

post-9589-1212673963_thumb.jpg

AL