gearbox mainshaft renewal?

can anybody explain how to replace the gearbox mainshaft in an LT77S defender gearbox?After reading all posts on reasons for transmision slack I have come to the conclusion that I will have to repace the mainshaft in the gearbox and the mating gear in the T/box.

If it has been covered elsewhere could you direct me to it.

Unless you are experienced mechanically and have decent facilities, don't bother, get another box. I have done it but wouldn't do it again. By the the time you've bought shaft, bearings, synchros, seals etc you could get a complete box.

Doubt whether you'll find a 'how to' but the earlier Disco Haynes manual was pretty good unlike recent ones. I assume you're sure it's spline wear from reading other threads?

I've done loads of them.

You need a special tool to remove/refit the oil seal collar on the rear of the mainshaft, but once this is done its all relatively easy, and can be achieved with standard tools and a decent gear puller. You need to accurately shim the unit as you re-assemble it, but the full landrover manual can be downloaded from various places on the net which gives you all the instructions and clearances that you need in order to sort it all out yourself.

If you're methodical its fairly easy. Ensure that you stip, clean and inspect all the components carefully and replace whatever is necessary. It works best if you're unsure to lay all the components out in order on a clean workbench to ensure you cant re-assemble it wrong.

Just make sure you get the synchro hubs back together correctly, and its easy to get the selectors in wrong until you've sussed out how they're supposed to work!

Jon