3 speed auto

jules

I know nothing about auto's and mine is possibly in need of the bands adjusting also chatting the previous owner today he also suggested that the art car stick shift cable may have stretched as it doesn't select that well.

to get it into N from 1st you have to go a few mm into R for 1st to disengage and get N.

The trouble is when you start 1st is fine but shift in to 2nd then its like a clutch slipping then it engages and your off 3rd is fine. it could be the cable and not the bands

I did mine some years ago, I know the Haynes book of lies is maintaining it's reputation giving a figure high enough to trash the gearbox!

On that occasion I telephoned Ashcroft, I believe I wrote the correct figure in the manual. I'll have a look in the morning.

OK it's morning now.

Kickdown, low and reverse band adjustment.

Having removed the sump (drain oil, disconnect battery, chock wheels, wear support tights etc) the low and reverse adjusters are visible on the end of the actuators.

The kickdown adjuster is on the left hand side of the gearbox (outside) above the kickdown mechanism.

Adjustment for all three is the same, slacken locknut and loosen the adjuster screw. Tighten the adjuster screw to 10 lbf (NOT the 72 lbf recommended by Haynes!)

then slacken by 1 1/4 turns, tighten locknut.

The numbers in the Haynes book are correct. Or they are in my copy at any rate.

However they are in lb F in not lf f ft! It's not even as simple as 1 lb f ft = 12 lb f in IIRC.

Easy mistake to make, I have done it myself.

Someplace I have the original Chrysler service manual for the 727 and the 828, it's about 5000 pages.

Jules, the adjusters are square, not hex headed. I made a wee tool, cut one end of an old drum brake adjusting spanner and welded it to a socket.

• 2 weeks later...