Running cra* after exhaust change

DC_

• 2 weeks later...

Ok update:

Decided to order a fitting kit from rimmer bros, in it came a few days later, opened it up to find there was no manifold gaskets in the pack................so i rang them up and they say the sports gaskets that i need aren't included in the kit, but there was no gaskets at all??? Hmmmmm i thought, time for an email to rimmer bros, so after a few nicely put emails, i managed to get them to send me out a set of sports gaskets. 2 days later they were here. They look the biz, much easier to work with and should give a better result.

DSC02717.jpg

So it took about 4-5 hours to get it all on after dismanteling the lot again so i could do the job right. Put assembly paste on the gaskets and copper grease on the bolts and horsed them up, managed to get to the barstewards bolts too and thanks to them i lost some skin on my arm :lol::lol:

Y section was a right pain in the bahooky!!! Took about an hour of gentle Persuasion to get the Y peice section on then the rest went on pretty easy.

Held my breath as i went to start it up ...........................Yeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaa sounds ace!!! Let it settle a little and the rough running seems to have gone as well.

Your right V8david, i'm sure i can still hear blowing from somewhere but adfter the paste expanded it seemd to disappear completely.

I'll take it for a run today just to make sure all is well before going on our journey next weekend. I noticed that it has more power too when i drove i last night...................or maybe it was just my imagination :lol:

Thanks to all again for your kind input, sorry to babble but i am well chuffed at the result.

Cheers

Charlie

Nice one DC! :i-m_so_happy: Pleased for you mate. You must feel like you've come to the end of a VERY long journey! :lol: I know what you mean about 'persuading' the Y piece on! I 'persuaded' mine with a big lump of wood and a bloody big hammer! Mine blows ever so slightly at the Y piece when cold but disappears when hot so I'm happy enough.

Well done getting the gaskets, a 'fitting' kit would suggest gaskets are included surely?!? Mine did. Good luck with it, they do sound wicked ;)

Cheers

David

Cheers David B) feeling rather good and i can defo feel a difference in the power, she's actually quieter now and with loads more power. I have a few other issues RE: AFM might be gubbed and i cleaned up th stepper motor and mechanism yesterday only to tighten up the stepper motor too much and snap it off :blink: i'm a bloody eejit!! So i have a good landie mate who is sending me both asap for my weekend run.

All going well she'll be running even better in a few days

Cheers

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, should have been more clear, the wire enters the same part of the loom that the AFM plug uses, you can see it in this pic here:

post-4193-1212655259_thumb.jpg

I think technically it is a black with white, but as you can see it has a sleeve around it's whole length...

Sounds like you AFM might have gone south DC_, When you disconnect it, the ECU goes into limp home mode, and won't reset until you stop the engine and restart it, or in your case, change to LPG and back to petrol (I suspect your LPG system is turning the ECU off somehow rather than switching the injectors -very common). In this state it will run, but very rich, and on tight corners in carparks for example it may well try to stall or hunt ... so not ideal, even though they do run OK on the road.

If you have one I'd try swapping out for another and see if that helps...

Good luck... :)

You were right Bowie,got a replacement AFM/MAF thingymajig and also changed over the penometer?? Now she's running ace on petrol and LPG, changes over without any greif :) How things like that can just make your day............................hope ye all have a great weekend.

Charlie

i would be inclined as you have changed the quite a few parts if you have not disconnected the ecu you will have some residual faults in the ecu either have the ecu read for faults or disconnect the ecu for 1/2 hour. while this is happening remove the stepper motor clean it all out then reconnect and allow to run up to temp on petrol this will allow the engine to settle and then reset the base idle this is done by this method:-

ensure all electrical loads are off and the air con to connect a seperate tacho unit and then clamp the black pipe at the rear of the plenum which goes to the stepper motor the idle will fall to a level which should be 520rpm +/-20rpm to adjust turn the allen key screw on the top of the plenum once you have set to 520rpm then slowly remove the clamp the revs will rise then allow to settle which should be around 720rpm+/-20 rpm.