Still no joy...what next -Disco problem-Les? or anyone?

Discofan

Even if you dont get it sorted, at least I've learned you dont need the guts in the FCOS!

Still learning!

Only on the EDC models, if you've got a manually operated fuel pump then you do need the guts in else you will have to stall it

sotal - yeah knew that bit - hence my first post, the EDC bit was news to me though, just forgot to to say it correctly!

Latest news on my disco problem, took it to the agent [had to put it on a transporter as it's an automatic and couldn't be towed]. They just called back to say IT'S DONE!!. They bled the fuel system, re-charged the battery and it's started and going..... I tried to bleed the system and obviously they have the equipment and experience to do it better. So, one hours' labour charge and vat and Bobs your uncle.

Although I still don't know what actually caused the breakdown in the first place I can only hope that it's solved. Once I've collected it and done the 30 odd miles back from the garage I'll feel better.

Cheers for all the help everyone, fingers crossed.........

{Picking it up tomorrow, heart in mouth!! Let u know.

Picked the disco up yesterday from the agents. They had bled the fuel system, re-charged the battery, £80 odd . Drove it 30 odd miles home and it drove and sounded sweet. So it seems that the work I did doing the head etc turned out right, also another thing was I replaced the thermostat as it didn't seem to be spot on when I tested it [may have been the cause of the whole nigtmare?]

All the help from you landy techies was appreciated and also your interest in the results. [sotal] I am a fairly new forum member although have had Landies on and off for years.I'll watch the forum for sure from now on.

cheers

Disco overheated, lost all water, got towed home by AA.

I have stripped the head, had it machined, new head gasket on, new thermostat. Put it all back together, finished today and.. the engine won't start.

I've bled the fuel system as described in Haynes manual but it still won't start. Engine turns over but won't fire. Bearing in mind that it all started with overheating, stopped immediately and there was water everywhere under the bonnet, none in the oil. Any ideas of what to try next will be very welcome, I'm tearing my hair out..

hi had same problem with mine a friend come round poured some oil over the rockers and all along the head and pour plenty on there and she fired up straight away

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Bringing you up to date with my long running saga, she is now FIXED...very happy....

Recovered the Landy to the agent when it wouldn't start after replacing the head. They were great. They bled the fuel system and got it started. They only charged me £80 odd. It took a bit of starting, pumping etc. so I bought 4 new glow plugs from Paddock Spares. The story there was that they cost me £2.58 each plus vat instead of the £20.50 each plus vat!!! Paddock got them to me next day. Their service is faultless.

Put the new ones in and lo and behold, magic.... Statrts fine now and after an oil and oil filter change it's driving a treat.

Thanks for all the technical support.

Norman