I broke it off roading today (300tdi)

rhydgte

Attended Eastnor today and did the intermediate off road course (Land Rover Experience), which was easy enough for the beast! However at some point during the course I must have broken something, there's now a strange loud grinding noise coming from underneath when turning slowly mostly apparent when turning to the right, its also reluctant to drive forward or reverse at lock as if something is holding it back!?

When sat still with the engine running I can steer lock to lock without any noises - so I think I can rule out the steering box?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Attended Eastnor today and did the intermediate off road course (Land Rover Experience), which was easy enough for the beast! However at some point during the course I must have broken something, there's now a strange loud grinding noise coming from underneath when turning slowly mostly apparent when turning to the right, its also reluctant to drive forward or reverse at lock as if something is holding it back!?

When sat still with the engine running I can steer lock to lock without any noises - so I think I can rule out the steering box?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

get wash it drop the wheels of and have a look it might be somthing simple like a tyre rubbing on mud or somthing you have picked up

have a good look at the stearing arms if not as a very slight bend will make it rub aswell

get wash it drop the wheels of and have a look it might be somthing simple like a tyre rubbing on mud or somthing you have picked up

have a good look at the stearing arms if not as a very slight bend will make it rub aswell

We got underneath it and nothing was 'obviously' loose, also got all the dried clumps of mud from around the wheels and suspension components - noise still the same, will do as you suggest however, but from the noise it seems as if something is broken or is about to brake, as it's a clunking/crunching/grinding/metal on metal type noise :(

Try supporting the front axle with both wheels clear of the ground.

Place on full lock and turn each wheel by hand, both forward and back.

Repeat on opposite lock.

See if you can feel and resistance or grating.

If so strip that side - look at wheel bearings, CV, half shaft etc.

Try supporting the front axle with both wheels clear of the ground.

Place on full lock and turn each wheel by hand, both forward and back.

Repeat on opposite lock.

See if you can feel and resistance or grating.

If so strip that side - look at wheel bearings, CV, half shaft etc.

That is the exact proceedure we did when we thought that we had broken a cv joint and it turned out to be a diff :( So, from grinding noises in the front axle, anything could be about to break :unsure: although cv's usually have slight clicking with them as well?