Rear Door Spade & Pick Pictures

Baldewin

I have an exmod90, don't know the year and I believe it was a nato radio truck. The rear door looks like it had tools mounted to it at one time but now there are just rivits there to fill the holes. Did they have pick and spade mounted to the rear door and if so would any of you have a picture of them. If they did come that way I believe I would like to retro it that way.

Cheers

Chris

Guest diesel_jim

I'm sure i've got some piccies at home, but yes, they came with the pick handle mounted on the roof panel, across the top of the door, and the shovel and pick-head at an angle across the door itself.

I saw that but mine is set up like post #7. And when I say that I'm talking about both of my doors (ST/SW). The only thing differn't on mine is I don't see any holes in the shell above the door where the pick handle would be attached. I thought there might be some other location that they placed them.

Cheers,

Chris

Guest diesel_jim
If you had a soft top fitted I think that the pick head went on the wingtop and the helve went on the bonnet

That's only wolve's i think Mark. :unsure:

Correct

If you download one of the military parts catalogues for the 87 or 91 batches it clearly shows the mountings for soft top and hard top. It's only with the XDs that the mountings moved to front wings.

It was with the change over from 200-300Tdi that it all changed, yes, I know it had nowt to do with the mil kit as they still retianed the 19J, or Mk6B as we call it, but the production line muat have had changes made, such as the disc braked rear axles so they tinkered about with other stuff as well.. This coincided with the change from KF/KL Mil reg nos to KJ onwards - the KF&KL had the pick head, helve and shovel on the door or tailgate, KJs had them on the roof (pick head) and the rest on the door for hard-tops or all 3 on the tail gate for soft-tops.

Well, as far as my Dortmunder kronen adlled mind of the time can recall anyways........

TBH units sometimes moved kit about anyways if say a door or hard-top got trashed in an RTI or some such, so there are, as always, loads of permutaions and nothing of this sort is 'fixed' as its not something our inspectors get obsessive about - as long as the kit is secureed safely it could end up where ever the hell you wanted.......... Take a recent RTI on a 110 XD - it needed new wings so the lad marked up all the mounts for the pick head holder and stuff and drilled away - then fitted the wings and realised he'd put the thing on the wrong wing - its still there as there's nowt wrong with where it is...........

Most folk doing a restoration will put a level of effort into the details that is NEVER used while the truck is in service - we just dont have the time to say, paint it exactly to the AESP or mount the pick head holder to within 0.5mm of where it should be - we just slap the paint on or drill some holes in roughly the right place - lazy?, possibly, necessary? Totally!

• 2 weeks later...
It was with the change over from 200-300Tdi that it all changed, yes, I know it had nowt to do with the mil kit as they still retianed the 19J, or Mk6B as we call it, but the production line muat have had changes made, such as the disc braked rear axles so they tinkered about with other stuff as well.. This coincided with the change from KF/KL Mil reg nos to KJ onwards - the KF&KL had the pick head, helve and shovel on the door or tailgate, KJs had them on the roof (pick head) and the rest on the door for hard-tops or all 3 on the tail gate for soft-tops.

Well, as far as my Dortmunder kronen adlled mind of the time can recall anyways........

TBH units sometimes moved kit about anyways if say a door or hard-top got trashed in an RTI or some such, so there are, as always, loads of permutaions and nothing of this sort is 'fixed' as its not something our inspectors get obsessive about - as long as the kit is secureed safely it could end up where ever the hell you wanted.......... Take a recent RTI on a 110 XD - it needed new wings so the lad marked up all the mounts for the pick head holder and stuff and drilled away - then fitted the wings and realised he'd put the thing on the wrong wing - its still there as there's nowt wrong with where it is...........

Most folk doing a restoration will put a level of effort into the details that is NEVER used while the truck is in service - we just dont have the time to say, paint it exactly to the AESP or mount the pick head holder to within 0.5mm of where it should be - we just slap the paint on or drill some holes in roughly the right place - lazy?, possibly, necessary? Totally!

As well as sensible.