Vepsskii Les

350kms flat out in delightful forest, tempting swamp (not puddles, this is the real deal), inviting clay/mud/loam/sand/slop, teasing cliffs, plus a little bit of water to splash about in, no warmth, no support, no recovery, no stopping - and its against the toughest crews Russia and the CIS can muster.

Karelia, 17-21st of September. Tr1, Tr2, Tr3 and ATV classes (theres even a tourist class running alongside if you dont fancy sport classes)

I wish I had hair that needed washing but Im bald........ Ive got to go :(

I think Jez said already everything you need to know about the competition. No need for a webpage.

I've been there last two years and I have to say that NOTHING compares to vepski! I've had two of my greatest offroad adventures there! For example the first year we managed to break all the windows on one side of the car and we had to sleep 5hours soaking wet and freezing in the car. Never before I have felt the feeling I then felt - will I ever make it back from here. Then there were some other rememberable things, but the craziest was, when we flipped our car to the river after trying to cross an old bridge. Nevertheless we finished 4th! 48hours in a row - hardcore offroading.

Last year we were a bit quicker just 36 hours :)

Everyone, who thinks that, they are willing to participate in one of the toughest competitions in the world are expected. For your information, there are very competitors from russia, since even they consider it too difficult to drive! Last year only 2 cars from TR3 and Proto finished, the same in TR2 and 4 finished in TR1.

Feel free to ask any questions concerning Vepski Les!

Urvo

its run by the St Petersberg 4x4 club but as usual they havent updated the website, the race is pretty much legend in the north so I guess thats why bling is low on the priority list, I'll have a nose around and turn up some more for you :)

theres a brief spiel about it on sportportal HERE

Hello,

Jez, if I can ask a few questions here:

Having in mind you just got back from Karelia, what you are going to change in the rig, you got to have new ideas in your head, maybe you faced some unpleasant moments, maybe you found gaps in mouse capabilities, somewhere, so are you going to modify something in order to improve mouse and make it handle the "болото" even better?

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask but, what is better in the Russian mud, more bhp or just massive clearance and huge tractor tires would do the job fine, this question is due to the fact that you used not very powerfull engine in Petal with bigger and wider tires, now in Ladoga you had maybe twice as much bhp and smaller tires, I do not remember what mouse weights but for sure it is lighter that Petal, so please help me make right conclusions?

Thank you in advance!

My best regards,

ahh swamp is fun :) mouse was happy there, we found a fair number of moonpools to bury the front end but only needed to use the back winch a twice to get out of them - the rest she just reversed out of, its a bit scary when the car is sinking and rocking on the waves in the swamp at the same time, I like to get out of those situations as fast as possible :ph34r:

I think it would be a close call as to which motor makes the most bottom end torque - Petal was tuned to give a lot at low RPMs.

Theres some changes we must make for Vepsskii but they are pretty small (adding some more waterproof storage, dialing in the compression damping, making door tops, installing some big heaters into the cab, changes in navigation equipment and comms and getting the CTIS installed - not running CTIS is a big time loser :(. We used the same size tyres as last year but didnt get enough time to cut the tread.. Tractor tyres work in a lot of terrains but are extremely risky in swamp - personally I'll stick with Boggers.

I think we have the capacity to carry all the fuel we need (the range even with the big motor is still pretty good). I think Mouse is durable enough to survive, time will tell - Petal will be there this year so it will be an interesting comparison.

To finish Vepsskii smiling and in one piece would be good going, we'll aim for that and anything else is a bonus :)

Hi to all! Who want's to go on Veppskii Les!

I know it's one of the extremest competition in Russia! Also "Bears corner" the same! Who need the detailed information I'll speak with organizers of this competition and write you about it. I advise everything, You will not regret! I can meet those who will arrive in S-Petersburg.

So how long will it take to get there and rough idea of cost to get there and back towing my rangie?

I would love to have a go and if your not coming to Tay then i might have to come to vepsskii to take on Mouse ;)

How cold will it be? not got a windscreen or roof on the rangie at the mo :rolleyes:

So how long will it take to get there and rough idea of cost to get there and back towing my rangie?

I would love to have a go and if your not coming to Tay then i might have to come to vepsskii to take on Mouse ;)

How cold will it be? not got a windscreen or roof on the rangie at the mo :rolleyes:

Don't know how long does it take for you to get to St.Petersburg, but I know that the competition takes place about 300-350km from St.Petersburg. Considering the road quality in Russia, it takes about 5-6hours to get there from St.Petersburg.

The weather is truly unpredictable, but according to my experience it's pretty much the same as in england. Rather wet and rainy and in the mornings it quite cold. Maybe +5-10 Celsius. I hope it won't be minuses this year

cool, we're hopefully getting the chance to meet some friends then take on the terrain, tiredness, cold, navigation, logisitics, lack of money, Russian paperwork, DPC etc - good luck with just taking on one car :rofl:

what class are you entering? :)

Can we have a little help please.........

Our Russian is not great :P

What classes are there?

What can we expect in way of km's covered?

Do you return to camp every night?

Are there night Sections?

What time do you start in the morning/evening?

What is the catering? Self sufficent?

Do you have to carry all your own kit?

Are you allowed support?

Is the support crew allowed to help fix the vehicle?

Are there penalities for outside assitance?

What do you have to do for fuel?

Do the organisers supply it or do you have to carry it?

How much does it cost?

How many cars enter?

Is it a laugh or what?

Jim :)

Can we have a little help please.........

Our Russian is not great :P

of course, you've always proved to be such a help and inspiration to us in the past :)

What classes are there?

Grand Tourist, Tourist, Tr1 Tr2 and Tr3, what class are you entering?

I think it equates to all of the croatia trophy in one hit :unsure:

no, camp where you stop, every 20 hours you must take a rest stop, the rules are enforced with GPS loggers

its a continuous event

kick off is dependant on position from prologue stage, drivers briefing at 6am on start day, finish is when/if you make the end

whatevers in your car

yes

Are you allowed support?

you can have crew but they are not allowed to help

No

Disqualification

buy it and carry it on the race car unless you find a village on stage

How much does it cost?

Fuel? diesels about 24 roubles a litre, petrol from 22 roubles

if you mean the event cost? thats around 400 euro

How many cars enter?

good question for this year - no info at the moment.

Is it a laugh or what?

Ive never been to Vepsskii, but according to the people I know that have done it... yep, its a laugh a minute.

of course, you've always proved to be such a help and inspiration to us in the past :)

What classes are there?

Grand Tourist, Tourist, Tr1 Tr2 and Tr3, what class are you entering?

I think it equates to all of the croatia trophy in one hit :unsure:

no, camp where you stop, every 20 hours you must take a rest stop, the rules are enforced with GPS loggers

its a continuous event

kick off is dependant on position from prologue stage, drivers briefing at 6am on start day, finish is when/if you make the end

whatevers in your car

yes

Are you allowed support?

you can have crew but they are not allowed to help

No

Disqualification

buy it and carry it on the race car unless you find a village on stage

How much does it cost?

Fuel? diesels about 24 roubles a litre, petrol from 22 roubles

if you mean the event cost? thats around 400 euro

How many cars enter?

good question for this year - no info at the moment.

Is it a laugh or what?

Ive never been to Vepsskii, but according to the people I know that have done it... yep, its a laugh a minute.

Jez,

When people ask us about events and show an intrest we try not to knee them in the b*lloxs and be patronizing no matter what we think :)

So to clarify this is event is a endurance event with five different classes.

I am sorry to be akward, but are the classes the same as Ladoga?

And how many days is the event?

Do you know the approx distance? Last years perhaps?

Fuel has to be collected on the way? or carried?

And no support crew? (Suits me :) )

Do you race to GPS points or a to b?

How is it scored? By total time? Check points achieved? or both?

Is this an event where the overal winner is in the higher class or one of the other classes? I hope that makes sense?

Sorry to be a pain, but i know others and myself are geniunely intrested.

Once again, Thank you for your help.

Jim :)

Jez,

When people ask us about events and show an intrest we try not to knee them in the b*lloxs and be patronizing no matter what we think :)

:hysterical: I havent a clue what you're on about as usual, but crack on - its very funny :lol:

* trophy raids dont have overall winner, its class wins from ATV to Tourist and all the sport classes. Its simple, the bigger the class number, the nastier the terrain

*all the Tr classes are internationally the same, guessing at your cars spec that would put you in Tr3

*the fuel question was answered.

*work on 230kms

*GPS points

*handy - if you cant find enough friends for a team

*scoring by elapsed time, penalties for rule infringements

* 17-21 or September

hope that helps? :)