Vepsskii Les

turned his stonkingly expensive coilovers into McPherson's Si, and then cut and shut a portal onto the end, very cleanly done, very simple, strength unknown at the mo but it survived Vepsskii so looking good in that respect

WhitebuggyImage00011.jpg

sort of lightened Tatra/pinzy styleeeeee

interesting when you compare it to a frogs set up - the frogs still win hands down in terms of flex over the "conventional" indy's, I'll try and dig out a pic from a magazine article in ORD which had green frog doing its thang for you :)

Susan, could you please kindly inform James that I will kill him next time when I ... remember handguns are freely available in Russia.....even for me.....

thanks for the youtube...some finn find it it it it and you know the rest....

Okily dokily – next lot

As we had arrived so late/early? we had a little lay-in the next day. It was the registration and scrutineering day so more and more vehicles and quads kept

arriving.

We got up, had some late lunch said hello to friends and later the boys went on to the officials tent to receive their paperwork and GPS points together

with the sponsors stickers and the most important “ Vepsky Les banner” ;) - much more special that the Ladoga one – which I tried to recycle and put on

Disco Bertha but it would not stick – hm – obviously - if your vehicle did not go to that race you do not deserve to display it yet so of it went to the bin. :(

26camp.jpg

The boys got back from what can be a long and confusing process. The command centre was set up in a big marquee with tables in a circle and in

theory you just have to go round and round from one to the other one till you have all the paperwork sorted. :wacko:

Got caught out because we did not have enough cash on us (and for some reason there was no option of popping out to a cash point lol :lol: )- didn’t think of

things like the ecological deposit, doctors certificate and some other little bits and bobs. The most expensive one was the ecological deposit – but you

do get this back on the end of the race if you did not litter and damage your camp site or the race area.

After all the admin stuff, we popped the stickers on mouse and the boys took her for scrutineering. About 20 mins later I see Jez strolling in and wanting

some sort of something to separate the battery (now this is how well I do technical terminology) So my foamy sleeping mat was sacrificed and a chunk cut

out of it. Once the boys got back I got the full story – even though the battery is an optima (so cant leak acid) and in the usual landrover place and held

down in a very chunky way and its spare terminals insulated the new scruitineer wanted a cover over it – he was finally all smiley and signed Mouse off when

the boys cut up a sleep mat and slid it over the battery lol :lol:

Afterwards we got on with getting mouse combat ready. The boys got a quite an early start time so did not wanted to panic in the morning.

32carprep.jpg

The briefing was in Russian only…. caused couple of suprises :angry: through the prologue.

Start was literary in the camp, from then you had an hour to make it 60kms up the track to get to the start of the prologue stage. Max time for the prolog

was 10 hours and then you had to return to parc ferme that evening. As Vepsky novices team tactics were to "err on the side of caution" but as usual that

all went out the window and was replaced by “drive as fast and as long as possible” :lol: – get in to the deep and end than see what happens :blink:

Better view

34Jamesoncar.jpg

The boys started at 10 am and we did not hear or see them again till that night :(

I have to say it was a bit worying as there was no commucation at all so it turned out to be a waiting game. :blink:

Me and James had some time to kill so we decided to go to the only place where we had a chance to see some action - the press lap.

The press lap was only about 2 km from the camp and it also turned out to be the last part of the prolog before heading back ot the camp for finish and parc ferme

Press lap start was in a field full of cows :P

35discopresslap.jpg

We stayed and watched the cars and quads comming by. It was interesting to see the order in which the vehicles were turning up because as long as they

had passed all the required checkpoints (all race vehicles carry satallite trackers which the organisers use to verify they have been where they should have been) this would be their prolog finishing place. (And also the main race starting positions).

Press lap consisted of a varied terain and provided photo opportunities.

Image00040.jpg

This was the little river stage which proved disasterous for our friend the Finnish photgrapher Mylliss - lol - he got attacked by a tree and the result was a broken leg. :(:ph34r:

Image00043.jpg

Even wounded Myllis stayed put with his camera (actually there was no way for him to get out as his ride - Roope was nursing a post operative hand and he and Mylliss's taxi (a disco) - got stuck :) and couldn't get out . James went back to the camp just in case the boys went straight there without completing the press lap. So I was stuck with 2 broken Finnish men in the Russian woods :):hysterical:

Luckily James returned and we all got out safely. We returned to the camp, the 2 Fins went off to a russian hospital and we sat down by the fire and

waited for the boys to return.

Finaly the Mouse and the boys apeared around 19.00 :)

48Mouseinfrmprologue.jpg

Zuz

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, Sergei here :)

The one who came from Ukraine and who is now missing our few moments together!

Well Vepsskiy turned out to be very very tough but we got what we were lookin for - testing how far we can go, how long can last, and the phrase of Jez when we got the blown gasket but were considering still going like this into the forest = "Gotta fight till its over, and its not over yet!"

James/Suzi - will never forget your help that night when we got the steering and were getting ready packing it in the backpacks to walk into the night to find our rig.

I got tons of pics but still need to figure out how to upload here and on the ftp link you have sent.

Really looking forward to seeing you next season - whether in Russia or somewhere else. Hope that by that I time I can revamp the 4JG2 Isuzu and get those Laplander axels somewhere to fit my old UAZ.

Cheers, and stay in touch!

ahh the Ukranian bear has surfaced - good to see you my hairy friend, send our respects to your team especially your father :)

I think we start next years season in Estonia, come and play? I looked at an Ukranian Trophy raid but I think our car isnt allowed in Ukranian Tr3 rules and I couldnt find a Tr4 or Proto class :(