ABS Wire problems

tuffstuff

I have today stripped out the inside of my RRC as i needed to move the ECU, ABS unit and the radio. So i removed all of the lower dash to expose the heater controls as i only get one speed!

I have moved the ECU to under the dash where the aircon was. I tried to site the ABS unit to the same place but there are two wires from the rear ABS sensors and the cables are not long enough to move the unit!

Can i cut these wires and join them or do i need to change the wires entirely? does anyone know if the cables are like tv arial cable? Can i remove the ABS ? will she pass an MOT if i do? any help would be great. Thanks

I asked about lengthening ABS wires for the same relocation reason and was advised that it wouldn't be a problem as long as the joints are done well.

It will fail the MOT if the dash light sequence does not function as it should. Removing the ABS from the rear might stop this happening!!!!

What's the cable look like? If you post up a pic or a rough description someone may be able to furnish you with some. ;)
The cable is the same size as cb radio arial wire, its Black and there are two of them, thats as much as i can discribe them. i would take a picture of the cable but i don't have my camera about.

Have a look at where the wire terminates at the ECU and find out how many connections there are.

I suspect the wire will be 'screened twisted pair' so the connection would have 2 wires and a screen.

Whatever the wire type you should be able to get some from Radio Spares (RS) or Maplins once you find what it is.

You could just bite the bullet and cut a lump of and take it into the shop.

A photo would be good.

Steve

Have a look at where the wire terminates at the ECU and find out how many connections there are.

I suspect the wire will be 'screened twisted pair' so the connection would have 2 wires and a screen.

Whatever the wire type you should be able to get some from Radio Spares (RS) or Maplins once you find what it is.

You could just bite the bullet and cut a lump of and take it into the shop.

A photo would be good.

Steve

I can not see what the ends are like as the plug is a sealed unit and covered with a rubber shield that is glued.

I can not see what the ends are like as the plug is a sealed unit and covered with a rubber shield that is glued.

The cable has to be longer so sometime soon you need to bite the bullet and cut the cable to insert your extension.

Make the cut a few inches from the ECU so your new bit of cable is inside the car.

Once you have cut it you can tell use what it looks like then we can find a suitable replacement and advise how to splice it in.

Go find your camera and a pair of side cutters.

Steve

The cable has to be longer so sometime soon you need to bite the bullet and cut the cable to insert your extension.

Make the cut a few inches from the ECU so your new bit of cable is inside the car.

Once you have cut it you can tell use what it looks like then we can find a suitable replacement and advise how to splice it in.

Go find your camera and a pair of side cutters.

Steve

I have decided after playing all day on her to leave the ABS unit under the passenger seat. I have sealed it all with silicon. the fuses and relays have been covered in grease and it has all got wet before so we will wait and see. Thanks for any help you guys have given me but i think i am going to wait until i need to change the rear oil seals and bearing as the rear sensors are stuck hard!