white smoke

On a morning when i start up i get a quite large plume of white smoke. The white smoke carrys on until i accelerate it up the road. If i leave it ticking over the smoke just continues.

After this initial problem everything else is ok and drives perfect.

However, if left ticking over, even when the engine is hot, it seems to slowly build up the smoke again so that when accelerating away it sends out the plume of white smoke again.

Any ideas ?????

Ta

Could be many things. Its normal to have the white smoke on start up. When its warm and stationary, is the volume of white smoke the same as at start-up?

The most serious it could be is a internal coolant leak, which granted is pretty serious. The 1st thing id check is your coolant level. Followed by the smell of your exhaust, put your nose in a bottle of antifreeze (ethylene glycol) if your exhaust fumes smell like that sweet smell of ethylene glycol, you have almost certainly got an internal coolant leak. If you haven't got these symptoms then you can probably discount internal coolant leak.

Other things to check are exhaust connections? Regular service items, fuel filter for example? Also do you run on veg oil or anything like that? What engine do you have btw?

Could be many things. Its normal to have the white smoke on start up. When its warm and stationary, is the volume of white smoke the same as at start-up?

The most serious it could be is a internal coolant leak, which granted is pretty serious. The 1st thing id check is your coolant level. Followed by the smell of your exhaust, put your nose in a bottle of antifreeze (ethylene glycol) if your exhaust fumes smell like that sweet smell of ethylene glycol, you have almost certainly got an internal coolant leak. If you haven't got these symptoms then you can probably discount internal coolant leak.

Other things to check are exhaust connections? Regular service items, fuel filter for example? Also do you run on veg oil or anything like that? What engine do you have btw?

Not loosing any coolant. And it doesn't smell like that.

Do run on veggie oil, but its a twin tank set up.

Both fuel filters (one of them the veggie one) were replaced recently.

Its a 200tdi.

White smoke on conventional diesel is not normal, it's a sign of incomplete combustion, (crook injectors, not enough compression [heat in combustion chamber], dodgy fuel) but on WVO ?????

Know what you mean ... I don't know if its normal either...

Its SVO that i'm running and not WVO.

Know what you mean ... I don't know if its normal either...

Its SVO that i'm running and not WVO.

My 200tdi runs on a mixture of SVO and DERV and the smoke it white/grey to start off with, when going up through the gears the puff of smoke is again white/grey. If the engine is revved really hard, like in the MOT test, the smoke is black. But once warm and stationary no smoke at all. Perhaps it could be attributed because you run pure veg when the engines warm?

White smoke on conventional diesel is not normal, it's a sign of incomplete combustion, (crook injectors, not enough compression [heat in combustion chamber], dodgy fuel) but on WVO ?????

Agreed. Do a compression check. IF you are lucky the veg oil will only have gummed up your piston rings. If you are not lucky ... well we won't go there yet.

Normally this means your timing is retarded or you have low compression or possible one bad injector.

On a diesel white smoke is normally unburnt or partially burnt fuel.

It runs really well, with no hesitations and is very smooth.

Can it still be compression ?

Injectors were replaced 2000miles ago when the injection pump was rebuilt. Doesn't mean i aint got a duffa, but it does mean its not old.

It started and ran very clean after the rebuild