Bump Steer On Defender Help Needed

hi everyone

I am in need of help (not personally) i have a current problem with my 90 in that when i drive it day to day on the roads an i drive over a slightly raised grate or something i get feedback through the steering wheel like juddering but there isn't any sound just that the steering wheel shakes and sometimes it is really bad especially when i go around a long bend and hit a bump in the road or something, when it is this bad it continues to shake until i slow down.

initially i thought i was the steering dampener so i changed it for a new one but this has not cured the problem, i have looked at the steering components/joints/wheels and they seem to be OK they can be moved by hand but how easy should they move??

I would appreciate any help from you guys as i am getting worried that something dangerous may happen if i do not cure it. :unsure:

i would rather cure it myself first before i go to a garage were they will lift my leg and possibly not cure it.

Anyway thanks for your time and any help would be much appreciated

cheers Paul

p.s don't know if this is any use but my defender is fitted with the later td5 axles.

Guest diesel_jim

it's 50/50 between swivel pre-load and the bushes on the panhard rod.

to check swivels, jack up the front, grab a wheel between 12:00 and 6:00 o'clock positions (not "in the afternoon before tea time" :lol: ) and wiggle... any play? if so, take a gander at the back of the hub while you, or a trusted fellow, does the same wiggling. if you see the whole "knuckle" moving in relation to the end of the chrome swivel on the axle, then it's the preload.

to check panhard rod, get someone to sit in the cab, moving the steering wheel left to right, pushing quite hard left and right (no need to have the engin running)... the rod that attached to the axle and the chassis, see if there is any movement in the bushes at either end.

hi again

i have checked the defender like you all have pointed out, there doesnt seem to be any movement on the panard bar and also the swivels for movement but there isnt anything that is apparent. but i noticed that when moving the steering wheel left to right quickly, the drop arm ball joint moves backwards and forrwards on its pivet, dont know if this is normal or not but i have ordered one to change it to see if it cures the bump steer if not then im going to take it in to a garage.

thanks for all the advice guy it as been much appreciated

cheers paul

I had that exact problem. I replaced both the upper and lower steering joint and the drop arm ball joint and now don't have the problem. It also turned out that the original joints had been fitted to the shaft incorrectly.