Springs?

Today whilst i was taking my brake calipers off to overhaul them I had a look at the springs for the first time since ive put my winch and bumper on, they look a lot more compressed than they used too. Is it worth swiching over to HD jobs or will i get away with the current ones i dont imagne its going to do the dampers any good. May also explain why i grounded out in some ruts recently on the chassis.

springs.jpg

my gater has broke too all happens at once

Today whilst i was taking my brake calipers off to overhaul them I had a look at the springs for the first time since ive put my winch and bumper on, they look a lot more compressed than they used too. Is it worth swiching over to HD jobs or will i get away with the current ones i dont imagne its going to do the dampers any good. May also explain why i grounded out in some ruts recently on the chassis.

Think you may have your answer there! You do have the extra weight of a Heavy duty winch bumper and winch.

I have heavy duty springs and they havnt collapsed with my winch etc.

Also if thats lift suspension you still have the standard brake lines which is dangerous to an extent, If they are standard height then no worries.

Tris

Well spotted on the brake lines!

Thanks

Dave.

Its only the other members that are teaching me these things to look out for, There a good bunch!

One other thing I dont know how old your defender is although looks like a tdi?? But your brake lines could be a real pig to do, Rusted and corroded at the joints, The caliper one seems to weather ok but the rest are beggars!!! It might be worth your while before you start to get a roll of copper brake pipe 25ft for a tenner, And borrow a flaring tool for back up so you can do your own.

Im in the middle of doing mine, So far i have gone all the way back to the servo with new pipes and welded knew brackets onto the hub and chassis.

Hope all goes well.

tris

They look like Britpart HD springs. When you next get a chance, measure the gap between the top and lower spring mounts and tell us what it is in mm.

They must have been weird shaped ruts to ground you out on the chassis ;);) . More than likely you grounded out on the diff and axles. This is due to clearance height of your diff and axle not down to spring height so lifting your chassis up more won't help in ruts.

Cheers

Steve

I belive they are britpart springs, I will measure the gap later on today when i finish plumbing the brakes in this morning, Ive changed the flexys to +2" and the brake lines arent in bad condition just covered in waxoyl I broke one being clumsy so im replacing that, just got to nip out and get some more bits.

Dave.