TD5 Defender won't start.

TOR4x4

Hope someone can help, when i tried to start my TD5 90 it cranks over no problem but won't start, the glow plug light dosn't come on and neither does the engine management light,

I've had a quick look at the relays (removed and reinserted) but all seems ok.

Has anybody had this problem before?

Thanks.

Adrian

It does have an immobiliser, an aftermarket one, that kills everything. could be that but i doubt it.

Was running about 5 minutes before it decided it didn't want to again. Fuel pump isn't running, maybe because ecu is not telling it too?

The starter motor has been playing up recently if that's any help.

Guest diesel_jim

Where the ECU lives, there's a single thin black earth wire. if this isn't connected to earth, it stops the fuel pump relay from operating.

might be a help.

The pump should run for about 30 sec when you switch the ignition on and then switch off. You should be able to hear a low hum if you put your head under the back of the vehicle. A noisy pump is probably on its way out, a completely quiet one has already gone!

pump is not being told to be on, the strange thing is that the engine management light and the glow plug lights are not coming on.

Could it be the alarm ecu forgetting itself?

Would plug in the nanocom if it hadn't of died 2 weeks ago :huh:

I had the same with mine last week, turn key to first position and no whine from the fuel pump and engine management light missing from the dash, turn key again and engine turns over but does not start, solution was so simple.

Took the plugs from the engine to the ECU which are under the drivers seat and they were full of oil, quick blast with the disc brake cleaner stuff and job sorted.

Hope that makes sense, not very well written.