Water Pump Replacement 300 Tdi

michael100

I would second freeagents comment, particularly since I didn't replace my p-gasket when I did the pump, and now it is leaking like a leaky thing, so I have to have it all apart again.

I think I took the viscous fan off anyway, just to give room to work. It's not difficult to get off or on again afterwards.

Mark

I would second freeagents comment, particularly since I didn't replace my p-gasket when I did the pump, and now it is leaking like a leaky thing, so I have to have it all apart again.

I think I took the viscous fan off anyway, just to give room to work. It's not difficult to get off or on again afterwards.

Mark

as others have said replace the p gasket as it will give you grief not too hard to do i put sealant on mine when i put it back toghether chris

Well, you don't have to remove the water pump to do the P gasket, but you might as well do it while you are mucking about on the front of the engine. To answer the original question, as I have the correct spanner I always remove the viscous fan when working on the front of the engine, I don't think you can change the water pump if it is on. If needed, you can make a viscous spanner out of bit of old leaf spring. Just make a 32mm slot in it with an angle grinder.

Mark

To add to Mark's comment, I did two things wrong:

1. Bought a Britpart water pump, and after three months the pump screeched like a pig! :(

2. Did not replace the P-gasket and now a leak..... :(

I would also recommend removing the viscous fan. As a precaution I cut a piece of chip board that fits on the face of the radiator, and I use that board whenever I work on the front of the engine. Radiators are very expensive here in South Africa. ;)