brake calipers splitting

Brasco

I am splitting the calipers apart of a 300tdi, in order to service washers, and fit spacers kit due to vented discs installation.

when i looked into the hayes Manual, there is no reference at all about how much one should tighten the four bolts that keep the two halves of the caliper toghether. I looked up into the 90/110 one but to no avail, and into the range rover one which only said DO NOT SPLIT THE CALIPERS APART...DO NOT SPLIT THE CALIPERS APART :(

any idea how much should i tighten the four bolts?...should i use tread lock?

thanks

I am splitting the calipers apart of a 300tdi, in order to service washers, and fit spacers kit due to vented discs installation.

when i looked into the hayes Manual, there is no reference at all about how much one should tighten the four bolts that keep the two halves of the caliper toghether. I looked up into the 90/110 one but to no avail, and into the range rover one which only said DO NOT SPLIT THE CALIPERS APART...DO NOT SPLIT THE CALIPERS APART :(

any idea how much should i tighten the four bolts?...should i use tread lock?

thanks

Hi Brasco,

I,m pretty sure the calipers are different for vented discs <_< but i,m sure someone older and wiser than myself will be along shortly to correct me if i,m wrong.

As for the bolts you are talking about the land rover manual also states that you should not split them but i like many have ignored this :o And i myseft tightened them up to the FT setting along with a smear of thread lock.

I also found that a couple of sockets are the best way to install the metal 'wiper seal retainer' after firstly using a slightly smaller socket and knocking it in gently upside down, then carefully removing it to insert the correct way.

I did this because not one went in correctly the first time and i found this 'forming' of them a great help IMHO

Regards

Dougie

I have done the same on my Discovery (and fitted stainless steel pistons at the same time).

Only advise that I'd add is to tighten down the bolts evenly (like a cylinder head) to avoid any possibility of distortion. Might be a bit over cautious, but better safe than sorry :)