Defender diff seal

Just done mine, an easy job but make sure you check the surface of the flange as if it has a groove in it then you will have to replace that as well otherwise you new seal will leak very quickly.

Undoing the flange-nut proved to be a problem as there was just too much flex in the halfshafts to allow me to shock it loose, in the end I just removed the diff and when the flange was clamped in the vice the nut undid straight away. There is no point struggling if the nut does not come undone easily, it only takes about 20-minutes to pop the halfshafts & remove the diff and it made it a much easier job.

I mistakingly bought a 24-spline flange kit but when I removed my flange I discovered it was the old 4-spline type (unusual as the diff is a 24-spline unit) so if you were in the market I have a brand new/unused kit available (part number STC4858, cost £27.99). As it turned out the 4-spline flange is even cheaper so in total it only cost about £14 for the new flange, seal, diff gasket & propshaft nuts.