DIII TDV6 run on petrol

JimAttrill

Hi all, we have never touched a DIII at the workshop, but we have a lady asking if we can fix her TDV6 after it was run on petrol. LR want to change everything except the radio and she can't afford that.

What normally has to be done to one of these and are the bits arm-and-leg prices or what?

Not done one, but talking to a mechanic who had to do one if it's been run on petrol the whole system needs to be changed - I think it's due to the higher tolerances of the fuel/injection system using the lubricating properties of diesel and petrol's cleaning properties removes the lubrication allowing metal to metal contact and little bits of metal being carried through the system.

I think what Pimp said more or less but then if you are facing a ten grand bill I would try flushing everything through with diesel and running it - whatever happens later can't be more expensive than changing everything! The ofishul policy is to change everything other than the radio to maintain warranty cover but clearly there are cheaper options and stuff the warranty!

Thanks Steve, we agree. We will try flushing everything and seeing if it goes - it is obviously out of warranty anyway. No matter what we do it can't cost what the stealers will want in order to keep the tiled floor polished and the lipstick on the receptionists :D

Lots of experience of this on forum dedicated to model disco3.co.uk

Most people who have done this have sucessfully claimed on their insurance as accidental damage and been paid out in full, less excess. Its a very common thing it seems.

Agree - petrol will settle out and sit on top of the diesel so if you can get access to the fuel pump (assuming its the same as for the Range Rover Classic you can remove the pump and suck out the petrol in the tank before flushing/priming the fuel system

I've done a few at work. Ideally i'd be replacing hp pump and injectors, LR say replace most of the system depending on how long its been run with petrol in. I have heard of one snapping a camshaft when the hp pump seized!

If you need any help on how to get parts off etc let me know (work in dealer).