Just got a 300TDI and need a little help.

DiscoDaz

I've Just this weekend purchased my first ever Land Rover Discovery and i'm also new to this forum so may i start by saying Hello to all of you.

The Disco is a 300 TDI 7 Seater, It's a 95 model on a M plate. I've bought it mainly as a hobby/project and intend to do a few things to enable it to go green laneing. I'm planning on installing a 2" spring lift kit, Bigger tyres and a few guards around the things that break easy which with the help of a few mates shouldn't be a problem. The problem i do have is i may need some help with the more technical jobs but i'm hoping that's where this forum will come in.

The car's in pretty good shape for it's age ( i think) but i did buy it knowing there would be some problems to sort out but Hey! isn't that part of the hobby?.

Right then, Lets get technical.

There's a problem with the heater/cooler, It's dead. Nothing happens when i move the selector switch or the dials and there's a button with arrows on which i believe to be an air circulator which doesn't work either.

I've checked every fuse i can find including the ones in the engine compartment and all are ok. At this point my knowlage is exhausted.

My freind also has a disco 300tdi so we started to do a little comparing, Looking around the fan assembly it'self there is a plug at the bottom connecting two wires to the fan. I think these may be the power but dont know how to test?.

After dropping the glove box and looking towards the top back left side of the fan assembly there is a relay which is covered with a rubber sheath. Now in my freinds car this relay clicks when the selecter switch is moved but in mine it does nothing, Again i dont know how to test.

I am aware that the fan motor may be kerput but guess what? I dont know how to test.

Any help with this would be really appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance

Darren...

Hi DiscoDaz. It's not unknown for the fan resistor unit whch gives u the fan speeds to pack up also so can the fan speed slider switch. But go for the easy things first and as dougstar says change that relay.

Also get a Haynes Service Manual from Halfords which will help with most problems, or if u want the real thing Land Rover's own Repair Manual or download from the webb.

Dougstar Thanks for your reply.

I'm a little hesitant to try electrical parts from my mates car Just in case mine has a fault which has damaged the relays and it does the same to his. I am however going to be introduced to a couple of people who are into this kind of thing in a big way, I'm told they have a yard full of old disco's with plenty of spares. I will aquire the relays and do as you suggested. I'm quite busy with work at the moment and can only spare time at the weekends so if i dont get back to you soon please dont think i'm ignoring your advice.

Teabag Thanks for your reply.

The fan resistor unit? Is that part of the controls in the dashboard or is it a seperate item? Does the dash have to come out to access the rear of these controls? I am going to get a haynes manual but i like your suggestion of "download from the web". I'm off now to google some stuff but if you have any web links i could follow i would really appreciate them.

Thanks for your offer dangerous doug. Problem is i dont know what i need to get this working but i'm having it looked at this weekend, gonna try swapping some bits and bobs with someone who has a load of spares. Hopefully if it works i'll just buy the bits that got it working. Fingers crossed an all that!