Black smoke

My 1986 110csw 2.5 na d is putting out black smoke when the accelerator is pushed down and the engine is ask for a bit more power. It will smoke if the pedal is kept to the floor, but easing up stops most of the smoke. The exhaust end is very sooty. She still runs and starts ok but I would like to stop the smoke. Someone metioned it could be over fueling ? how do I fix it. :(

Any ideas anyone.

Thanks Mark

Thanks guys, I will have a look a the air filter.

How do you ease of on the fuel supply? If its not the filter.

If it was a faulty injector would she not run a bit rough?

This seemed to start on its own I have not been tinkering honest teacher.

Mark

If it was a faulty injector would she not run a bit rough?

Mark

IIRC it could be down to the spray pattern of the injector, in a word its dumping to much fuel in to one area and overfueling thus not burning off evenly and you get your black smoke.

Mine does it a little but mainly just after start up

I called it soot as it was like black powder/dust coming out when I put the air line to the filter.

What do you call the material or substance you get in the exhaust if a motor is running rich?

This is what I had in the filter, soot.

Mark

I called it soot as it was like black powder/dust coming out when I put the air line to the filter.

What do you call the material or substance you get in the exhaust if a motor is running rich?

This is what I had in the filter, soot.

Mark

Ever thought of buying a new filter :P

Yes that will happen soon.

I get most of my parts from the Belfast Land Rover Centre which is about 45 minutes away and then time talking and waffling it tends to eat into a day so I wait until I need a few parts and bring a flask and sarnies with me.

A great day out is had.